American Made

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Tango, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Laura's Cracker Jack at 8 weeks old - Performance American Bulldog

2. lynpea

lynpea Well-Known Member

Well he is a beauty! Congrats.

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thanks! Here's my second American - Made dog:
    [​IMG]
    Ceniza, a Lousiana Catahoula Leopard Dog.

4. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

But I have to confess, I have one made in China too :)
    [​IMG]
    Yuqui, a Chinese Crested. Thankfully he is here and not there, where he might be eaten.

5. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Thanks for the pictures!!! Is your new cutie the Scott or Johnson type? Looks compact and short in the leg with a lot of power. Whichever, you have a good looking pup!

I hope we get a look at him sometimes as he grows.

6. Little Quacker in OR

:) Thanks for the pictures!!! Is your new cutie the Scott or Johnson type? Looks compact and short in the leg with a lot of power. Whichever, you have a good looking pup! Talk about cuddly!!!!

I gave this breed a serious look a few years ago along with the Dogo Argentino, and admire them tremendously. It's the propensity of anything having bulldog blood in it that made up my mind against....it seems that no matter what you feed them or how you adjust the diet they pass amazing amounts of wind! LOL

I hope we get a look at him sometimes as he grows.

LQ

7. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Hi LQ, thanks. He is a Scott type. His breeder said he'd reach 100 pounds as an adult. He's from a catch dog/working line and I need the help with my razorbacks when he's older. We have him on adult premium kibble with a nutritional supplement for structural health. I also cook for him on the side. So far no wind passing - knock on wood. For my cat it is a different story. He needs to be put out on the clotheline :) I am sooo excited to have Jack. I've looked at and read about this breed for over a year. Jack's grandad is the first OFA excellent American Bulldog: "Cowboy." This little one is utterly amazing. He seems to think in situations- doesn't hesitate or back off. I've yet to see him phased by anything, but he does give situations a good thought. His forehead wrinkles over, LOL. I call it his concerned expression.

8. Little Quacker in OR

:) Looking forward to more pictures! Good luck with Jack! Puppies are wonderful....now you are giving me second thoughts! LOL LQ

9. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............Is your beautiful puppy going to have a very muscular frame like a pit bull. I've heard that the really well breed dogs are not Mean like the Pits are. I've never owned a Pit so I only know what I've seen on TV and read in the paper. He is so young it is really hard to tell. He will weigh 100 pounds, wow......fordy... :confused: :)

10. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

Dont belive all you read fordy one of the BEST dogs I ever had was a staff and she was wonderfull! Had her own cat she raised and was the hit of my daughters slumberpartys, ten girls with our dog gracie right in the middle getting all the attention.

11. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Hi Fordy, I knew I didn't want a pit bull because of homeowner's insurance complications, so I didn't really study that breed. Had I been interested in the pit bull, I would have proceeded in a similar way as I proceeded in learning about Cracker Jack (perhaps a bit more cautiously because of animal aggression problems inherent in pit bulls). I firmly believe a dog is made up of a combination of its genetics and its environment. You can't remove dog/cat/human aggression through one out-crossing but you can ruin generations of selective breeding through one random breeding. A dog that has not been well bred is a crap shoot, despite everything the owner does. We see that in health problems, temperament problems, allergies, etc. And then when we are speaking of large dogs that have a history of certain types of bred in aggression, it is a potential time bomb. But even a very well bred dog, like Jack, can be ruined by an idiot with more ego than common sense. Jack's pedigree goes back to five generation's to a blank on his father's side because he came from the "ol' southern whites," the dogs that worked the farms for their owners in Georgia, Alabama, and Florida and were/are the preservation of the working bulldogs. His breeder is involved in the breed- it is a generation and family venture, not a backyard breeding because they had a pair of AB's. I have his birth order, birth weight, photos since he was 4 weeks (in Florida you can't take a pup from its birth home until 8 weeks of age), and a formula to help Jack grow slowly to his 100 pound adult weight so that his hips and joints aren't lost on the way. I also have a guarantee for his sound build and temperament. I've no doubt Jack will be a strong, muscular, and productive member of my family who will pay me back in protection and work, every show of love that I lavish on him. Sorry for the long reply, the subject is one I have very strong feelings about.

12. george darby

george darby Well-Known Member

had a dog a few years ago who was lassie quality she was a mix of hound and i found out later american pit we lost her due to complications when she was spayed would really love to have her back she was a real people dog and protective at the same time intelegent and this was only a pup ,however i would be warry of getting another with pit blood because of the bad rep and the dog breed bans which keep getting passed in area after area in adition to the insurance companies refusing to insure owners of (dangerious breeds) or jacking up the rates having one of there dogs could be viewed as a liability,if you were sued by a trespasser for a dog bite it would be much easyer to win the case if he was severly mauled by your (dalmation: statisticly wheighted as to severity of bites and frequency of the breed the worst for atacks) or a simple bite from a dreaded pit (media aclaimed as a leathal weapon and obviously trained to kill) obvious which the jury would find at fault eather way probably in favor of the guy carrying off your valubles while you were at work.i am not in favor of vicios dogs of any breed i think it is a problem of the owners and poor selectionby breeders. years ago many dogs were kept from being a problem because the owner was always in sight and in control today most dogs spend very little time supervised and just run loose and are not under owner control anyway i am amazed at how manny people are afraid of thier own dog biting them when they feed them mine are taught as pups to never growl and snap when they are fed. well i am running on so must get busy ,in short i would have another pit blood but it does seem to be a libillity today

13. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Cute pictures Tango. thanks! :D

14. Little Quacker in OR

:) Anyone who wants to see a pix of the "Scott" type American Bulldog just go to this sight and scroll down.

http://www.c-gate.net/bulldog/html/bulldog__history.html

Tango could tell you that for another, closer look in motion, just pop on the movie remake of " The Incredible Journey" by Disney...a silly and poor remake from the original indeed but the American Bulldog who stars and the other animals are neat.

Fordy, just want to say that the characterization of so called "Pit Bulls' as "Mean" is not accurate. As a vet tech most all of my working life ,I can tell you that I have never been threatened by a Pit, or American Staffordshire Terrier or any of the other "Bull and Terrier" breeds. No, it was the Chows, Dalmations, Shepards, Chihuahua's, Lhasa's and the like that were the problem dogs. I never met a Bull and Terrier breed that I didn't like and who didn't like me and the Vet too, and you will get the same response from any Vet Tech in any state that you ask. ;)

Have fun Tango....isn't getting a new pup just the greatest? Especially one that you've worked and planned and been on a waiting list for! LQ

15. diane greene

diane greene Well-Known Member

We have a Johnson American Bulldog named Lulu. She is the best cart and kick sled puller you could hope for. She easily pulls twice her weight. No gas problems, but she can be aggressive around dogs that she does not consider part of her pack. If I figure out how to post a picture I will. Start to harness train your pup and he will take to pulling like a duck on water.
    http://atlantic.photoisland.com/ser...6695276&goNext=/photosharing/albumindex.html?

16. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    .........I guess it all revolves around the expression..." there are No bad dogs only Bad owners". I really should have clarified my statement better, What I was trying to say was that Pits were Trained to be mean by their owners as opposed to being inherently mean from the get go. I love dogs but personally I much prefer the face of a Pit as compared to the Regular bulldog. just my personal preference(s).........fordy.... :)

17. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

By the way Tango loved the pictures of your dogs!

18. cathanna

cathanna Member

How precious. Give them all a hug and kiss from me.

19. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

That's Jack's daddy in the photo! Joshua's Elijah CD III.
    For another Disney featured AB, there is Homeward Bound. "Chance'" was played by SureGrip's Rattler as a pup.

20. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I'm going to buy Jack a pulling harness soon. I'd like to work with him- really have enjoyed the photos of weight pulling compettions. Your link won't go to Lulu's photo. Can you post the link again? Wherever her photo is on the internet, right mouse click on the photo and go to where it says "properties." That will show the url for the photo. Copy that and paste it between the picture icon on our message menu (right above this gray screen (looks like a postcard) and then paste url then click on "close current tag. It should work for you. Try it!