Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spent my free time in the past few days trying to find Aerican owned companies that sell American made products. All I can really find is on line shopping. I want stuff I can buy retail.
And I can find American owned food companies like King Arthur Flour, but I can't find if they use imported grains.
I must be missing something or just not googling the right word combos. It just can't be this hard.
Any suggestions.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
It's my understanding it IS that hard to find American made (totally) products. In fact my husband showed me an article a couple months ago where a woman decided she'd buy nothing that wasn't American made for a year, and how difficult it was. Wish I could remember the url. It was a real eye opener.

I did find a url for "buy American made" in my favorites tho: http://store.buyamericanmart.com/ and did a search of "American made" but as to finding things locally, maybe you could talk to the managers of your favorite stores about this, and correspond with these places online about wanting to buy locally. Maybe if enough attention is called to this, retailers will see there's a real market out there for this.

·
Registered
695 Posts
chickenista said:
I have spent my free time in the past few days trying to find Aerican owned companies that sell American made products. All I can really find is on line shopping. I want stuff I can buy retail.
And I can find American owned food companies like King Arthur Flour, but I can't find if they use imported grains.
I must be missing something or just not googling the right word combos. It just can't be this hard.
Any suggestions.
Newton, NC. Just down the road from me is Midstate Mills. I'm not sure all there grains and ingredients are USA...I do know that South Brady Street is lined from one end to the other with grain trucks from local farmers at harvest.
There products are great too!
MidState Mills

·
Registered
766 Posts
All of Great River Milling's grains are grown in the US ( midwest ). Here is a link:

http://www.greatrivermilling.com/

I purchase their products in bulk through my buying club.

Listing the country of orgin is one area that Natural Foods/Organics Industry is (again) a step ahead of conventional foods.

Our local Food Co-op has the country or state of origin listed for every item of produce it sells. This way, you know if your oranges are coming from either Florida or California. More importantly, whether the produce comes from a country with questionable food handling practices. This isn't a new practice at our Co-op. They have been doing this for years.

I purchase most of my food items in bulk, and the 100 or food items dispensed through the bulk bins at our Co-op have country of origin, clearly stated. The organic soybeans sold here come from china and so I choose not buy them. L

What strikes me is the fact that no-one has mandated that our Co-op ( or their distributors) provide this information. It is provided freely because they feel as if it the consumers right to know. I really like this.

So instead of trying to track down the country of origin for every ingredient listed on, for example, a pack of Quaker Instant Oats, one could simply purchase the oats ( and sugar, and maple syrup ) from their local co-op and know what you're getting without much detective work involved!

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
It is geting harder and harder to buy American.

I have been on a soap box about this since the mid-1980's, and I still dont think that many people care, unless they lose a job from imports.

I never imagined that the tidal wave of imports would reach the level it has today, and I think it will get worse before it slows down.

I really don't want to sound like a fanatic with a tin foil hat, but I cannot see how we can keep a decent standard of living in the US. I think we will see the standard of living and wages drop towards that of China, while theirs will rise. I also beleive that our tax burden will really increase significantly due to lost wages. The govt will have to make that up somehow.

Our town lost $250,000 in property tax revenue when an auto parts manufacturer closed up shop "due to soft demand".

Now we are faced with a new "wheel tax" on our car plates, an increase on our income tax, and our property taxes have SOARED.

Also, for instance, our neighbor now earns 8.75/hour when he used to make 15.00 at the auto parts man. All the kids are on Medicaid, free books at school, free lunch, breakfast.

I could go on and on.

Clove

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would really like to buy American as much as possible. Not only to support our workers and farmers, truckers, but to make a statement about imports and all that jazz. I will keep on plugging away at finding a way to do it. I am a gutsy (but polite) type that doesn't mind asking questions

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
chickenista said:
I would really like to buy American as much as possible. Not only to support our workers and farmers, truckers, but to make a statement about imports and all that jazz. I will keep on plugging away at finding a way to do it. I am a gutsy (but polite) type that doesn't mind asking questions

Me too! i don't care how much more it costs, seriously. If its not crap it lasts longer.

·
Registered
485 Posts
You won't find much American made in the "big box" stores.
You need to find the little stores in your area.
I work at a little 119 year old store in central NC.
We carry many American made products, but many things that have been American made for years are now foreign made.
Some of our American made products are.
Pointer Brand jeans, overalls and outerwear,
Dixie Bell ladies undergarments
Carol ladies undergarments and sleepwear
Rail Road Socks
Ball Canning Jars
With in the last year we have lost about half a dozen suppliers that were
American made. They went out of business. Several more have recently relocated to Bangledesh, Madagascar or Guetamalla.
The sad thing is the American public has done it to themselves.
Buying the cheapest thing is just that.

Shelly

·
Premium Member
2,892 Posts
Sturm, Ruger & Co. makes American firearms.
Smith & Wesson Firearms is also American.
Marlin Firearms, also, I think.
And Mossberg Arms is also.
And Kimber Firearms makes American products.

Meanwhile, Colt is about gone under.
Winchester is not making Firearms.
I think they make Ammo, though.
If I'm in error, on any of these, please let me know.

Buy American.

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
shellycoley said:
You won't find much American made in the "big box" stores.
The sad thing is the American public has done it to themselves.
Buying the cheapest thing is just that.

Shelly
Yes, we have done it to ourselves, but corporate America has given us a a big push at the same time.

Wal Mart has literally encouraged/forced their suppliers to move to China.

Thousands of other companies have made the change, and the public has had nothing to do with it.

This has turned into a profit windfall for corporate America. You can outsource to China, where labor is $160 a month, on a manipulated undervalued Chinese currency.

My dad is an engineer/buyer at an electric utility. A few weeks ago, he had a salesman touting a line of Chinese built transformers. (Those round things on electric poles.) The salesman said that they could custom build any type of transformer, and labor wasn't even a factor!!!!!

Corporate America has been bad for us.....and Wal Mart led the way!!!!!!

Clove

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just finished school supply shopping yesterday. While there plenty of stores that advertised "sales", if you looked at the label, their sale items were made in China.

I made it my goal to purchase as many items on the supply list from American Companies. I paid a little more, but it isn't simply about the price for me.

**Things that I found that were Made in USA**

Crayola Crayons

USA Gold Pencils - I had to go to the Stationery section of Target to find these, all of the ones offered in the "Back to School" section were Chinese made.

Plastic Supply Box - Made in USA...but No manufacturer name.

Expo Dry Erase Markers

Wide Rule Filler Paper - Top Flight, Inc. - I believe this to be USA made, however, when you look at their website, I can't tell if they actually manufacture their product or if they import it.

Items that I couldn't find US made:

Fiskars Scissors - Made in China **This surprised me!
Elmer's Glue - Made in China ** This surprised me!
Pink Pearl Erasers - Malaysia
Scotch Glue Stick - Korea
Pencil Sharpener - Made in China
Rubbermaid Water Bottle - Made in Malaysia

Interesting Exercise......

gg

·
Registered
293 Posts
chickenista,

You can email King Arthur and ask them. They are VERY good about answering emails. We had a question about their wheat and they answered promptly with a complete and informative letter. King Arthur is a really good company. I still buy some of their products even though I now grind my own wheat.

Another good company is Wheat Montana; http://www.wheatmontana.com/about.php

I love their Prairie Gold wheat.

freelove

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Started looking in the grocery today..easier to do now that DS is in K-garten.
Barilla, in the gold box very healthy..American company..don't know if they use imported stuff yet.
King Arthur Organic ww flour...them too
Green Giant is Pillsbury
Out of curiousity I looked at the green peppers.. height of the season here..they were Canadian
I am disgusted. And if it is a store brand..forget it. Nothing of value on the label.
Will keep plugging away.
I was planning a much bigger garden next year anyway. Hope it's not to dry to plant.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Regarding King Arthur Flour - I wrote them during the pet food recall to find out where their gluten and flour are grown. I was happy to hear that for the flour they use USA grown grains and mill it in the US. I have pasted their response below:

Dear Baking Friend,

Thank you for your inquiry.

All of the wheat gluten that’s been in the news, as part of a recall on pet food, originates in China.

The vital wheat gluten sold at the Baker’s Catalogue comes from the Netherlands and France, not China. (Even though some Chinese wheat gluten is shipped through the Netherlands, this is not the case with what we sell.) Our vital wheat gluten is imported from facilities registered with the United States FDA, and is free of melamine.

The gluten in our King Arthur signature flours is a natural part of the wheat berry; it’s not added after the fact. All of our King Arthur Flours are milled in the United States, from American-grown wheat.

Any of our mixes that include added vital wheat use the gluten that we obtain from the FDA-registered facility mentioned above.

Our dog biscuit mix doesn’t use added wheat gluten; it only contains the gluten.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Joan
The Bakers Catalogue, Inc.
[email protected]
100% employee-owned, 100% committed to quality

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
chickenista said:
Any suggestions.
I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but there are a lot of good mills in Kansas (right in the middle of wheat country). :)

http://www.kswheat.com/general.asp?id=514

I like Hudson Mill products, also products from the Western Star Mill company out of Salina Kansas.
Western mill has a great seasoned flour mix that I love. :)

·
Food Not Lawns :p
587 Posts
My mom just bought some organic apple Earths Best apple juice for babies, she noticed AFTER she got home that the juice was made in Turkey. Is it organic by US standards or Turkeys standards? Are the Earths Best people really going over to make sure the apples are organically grown?

Yeah, sure they are... just like the mattel execs were going to China to make sure they werent using lead paint!

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got a couple of neat books at the library today. "Rough Guide to Shopping With A Conscience" and "Safe Shopper's Bible". The Guide is great so far. Tells who owns what. I found out that the Organic companies that we all love are owned by the big,bad corporations thart we all hate. Example...Altria (another name for Phillip Morris) owns Back to Nature and BocaBurger. Pepsico owns Mother's Natural Foods and the above mentioned Earth's Best is owned by Hain Food Groups. And Seeds Of Change..Love them... owned by Mars Inc. ConAgra owns Lightlife etc... Every organic company you can name is owned by someone bigger. If anyone is interested I can keep readng and tell you more. Oh and it lists who test on anmals and which of their products are. Just awful. I have loads of these products in my house and so do you. Baby Magic anyone? Spray and Wash? Pull Ups? Desitin? Dove? Sally Hasen? Let me know if you want more info or links.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.