Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is the right place to ask about this, but if not, feel free to move the thread where it belongs :)

I'm expecting my first baby in July, and I would like to use cloth diapers as much as possible. I've been looking around online, and all of the cloth diapers I've found are made in China. Frequently, companies seem to offer American-made diaper covers, but the prefold diapers are all made in China.

Does anyone have any resources they can share to help me find cloth diaper goods made here in the good old USA? I'm a competent seamstress (and have a good six months to go before our little boy arrives!), and don't mind making my own if someone has advice or basic instructions. Thanks a bunch!

~ Queenie

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I found this website but as with any American product, get ready to pay more for it. This looks like one diaper costs $6.95 (I can't believe that). I would imagine the reason is how much American workers expect to get paid as they want Neiman Marcus wages and Walmart prices...can't have both. Where I worked labor was half the cost of every item.

http://www.diapersetc.com/products/hemp-prefold-diapers.html

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your input. I did a little more looking and actually turned up a site with several free patterns on it, and links/guides to the right kinds of fabrics to use for the diapers. I think I'll order some supplies this week and do a test run. I'll try to snap some photos when they're finished.

http://www.diaperjungle.com/sewing-cloth-diapers.html

Although, as with most sewing projects, the materials will usually end up costing double the price of a ready-made, store-bought thing. Oh well!

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
We used cloth diapers and at first bought some off line. But then hubby was at the Senior home here and one of the ladies told us that she would sew us some if he came over and re-wired her TV lines in her house for her and set up the DirecTV. Now he would have done it for free (well, maybe for some of her homemade pickles) but hey....

so that was our first journey into the world of diaper negotiation.

We make jelly and jams, syrups and bread, yard work all in barter for them. Yes, i could sew them, but I find it much easier to send the hubby out and do some work (joking, but with school and the move coming up, it has given us a lot of free time, at least for me)

And the ladies love it, we stop by a few times a week, and they all brag on whose diaper Jasmine is wearing..... so for us, and them, it is a win/win situation. I buy fabric, but usually they return it and use something they had just collecting dust, so now I have ton's of fabric that Hubby says that I'll have to use in MO.

·
Milk Maid
2,873 Posts
MissQueenie, there is a wonderful yahoo group called sewingdiapers... look them up and join! They have some free patterns on there, plus lots of helpful advice.

·
Incubator Addict
3,111 Posts
That's funny, I was actually checking ebay today because we don't have enough diapers for two bums.

In my own experience, the chinese or indian prefolds are much higher quality than any of the other manufactured diapers. If you are going to buy mass produced diapers, the diaper service quality prefolds are your best bet. I haven't found any mass produced diapers made anywhere else that compare. The others tend to be a flimsy, gauzy material that doesn't absorb.

If you are making your own or purchasing handmade diapers, pay attention to the ply. 4x8x4 is what you would want in the manufactured diapers, and you should look for something equivalent in the handmade ones. If you are purchasing handmade diapers from someone else, I wouldn't buy a large quantity until you are sure of the quality. I've seen some really crappy handmade diapers. They were cute and looked like they had the thickness, but there weren't enough layers and there was no absorbency.

Personally I prefer prefolds, no matter where they come from, but there are lots of other options. All-in-ones and insert/liner combos just don't do it for me though.

Kayleigh

1 - 9 of 9 Posts