American Livestock Breeds Conservancy

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by holleegee, Jul 16, 2005.

1. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

Are any of you a member? We recently moved onto our land and I would like to raise "heritage" breeds of sheep, goats and poultry. I was just wondering if anyone has had any expeirience with this organization. Thanks for your input.

2. poppy

poppy Guest

I looked into poultry on there a few years ago. The breeders seemed like they were more interested in making money than promoting the survival of a breed. I don't know about the other livestock. Sand hill preservation is a good cource of rare poultry at good prices.

3. heather

heather Well-Known Member

We are members, but don't have any animals -
    We are simply interested in rare & historical breeds & may wish to raise some in the future -
    We get a monthly magazine & the directory just came, which is fascinating.
    It lists members by animal and by state, so you can see who's raising what and where.

4. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I was a member for years, and now that I have livestock, I'm not. Seems to me that many of the breeds they promote as endangered are those breeds that 'everyone' has, and is ready to sell to you at amazing prices. Not all, of course, but lots of them.

Meg

5. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I don't belong either, but I do have issues with the whole "love of money" attitude prevalent among rare or heritage breed owners.

A chicken egg, goose egg, or duck egg is just that; an egg, and a calf, kid, lamb, or piglet are the same as any other but for their heritage or rare breed status. It sure doesn't cost one cent more to maintain the breeding stock than any of the more common breeds.

I have American Milking Devons, a rare and heritage breed, but I don't see them as worth one cent more than any other breed of cattle. In point of fact, from a agro-economical stand point they may be worth much less. They can't compete with any beef or dairy breed. They are simply a great old breed with the ability to thrive in less than perfect conditions, and they make some of the very best oxen. By-the-by, I did pay big money per head to get into the breed, and will be paying big money per head for any replacement animals I need. On ther other hand I really do love the breed and will be selling calves at very affordable prices when my wee herd gets rolling.

I've talked with some Old Spot pig owners who want $250 for a 3 week old piglet, and some of these folks aren't going to breed their hogs unless they've got a sucker on the line to buy them.

I would say that if a person truly loved or admired a breed of any sort, then that person would be trying to get high numbers of that breed out to the general public as cheaply as possible.

6. shepmom

shepmom Well-Known Member

I raise heritage breed livestock, primarily for our own needs. 3 duck breeds and ABS/BBS (polled and unpolled).

The ducks carry no higher value locally and the sheep less than other breeds of sheep. Value is based on demand and quantity. Raising large numbers of a breed isn't feasible as the cost exceeds the value.

I haven't joined the ALBC, but appreciate their efforts and time in research, etc.
    :)
    Diana