American Idol

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Becca65, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Becca65

Becca65 Well-Known Member

Anyone watching this?? I watched it both nights, where do they get these people at?? lol I did feel bad for the guy with the big eyes.. Simon can be awfully mean! Or the woman with the blonde hair and bright red lipstick. thinking she was sexy and all... heh :rolleyes:

2. WindowOrMirror

WindowOrMirror ..where do YOU look? Supporter

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that they show US the really strange ones... not the thousands who tried out

3. FiddleKat

FiddleKat Mother,Artist, Author Supporter

It can be quite entertaining!!
    Did you see the last guy on last nights show? The red haired guy....he kinda looked scary at first.

I don't think Simon tries to be intentionally mean to these people. Some of them can't sing if their life depended on it, yet put themselves on national tv thinking they are going to be the next Kelly Clarkson. I like to sing sometimes, but I wouldn't make a fool of myself.

4. Wags

Wags Well-Known Member Supporter

I haven't watched TV in weeks (well other than football) and just happened to catch last nights show. Oh my goodness!!! Out of 9000 that tried out there certainly wasn't much talent.

I'm sure the strange ones get put through to this level just for the entertainment value. Since they all go through a screening process before they ever appear in front of Randy, Paula & Simon. And since this is what the 5th season? No one should be at all suprised by Simon's comments.

What people will do for their 5 seconds of fame...... Oy!

5. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I believe it's staged and a waste of my time.

6. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

My wife & I were just discussing lastnight "What are these people thinking?"

We have to wonder if they are living in a fantasy world of their own and think that they sound good. OR

They know darn well that they can't sing but just want to be on tv. OR

The show actually pays people to act and look stupid. (Of course, there are alot of clueless people in the world, so the show probably wouldn't even have to pay them.)

I think it's a combination of all 3.

7. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

I actually watched it for the first time last night...yeah...I crawled out from under a rock. LOL
    Lemur Boy was rather scary, and "Hot like Me" girl and her lookalike mother were frightening...The Indian brother and sister were excellent...I hope they do well.
    If I wasn't old, I would do it. 5 minutes of fame would be fine for me.
    But if you think about it, how many of you would actually try out for it? I think alot of it is the weirdo factor. Like look at these losers and compare them to the winners...hmmm. I'm not amused with Simon and his sniping. And I really got angry when they were all cracking up when the bad ones were singing. That's just showing they have no manners. It shows that some of the people have big enough chickpeas to be comfortable with themselves and to set themselves up for the ridicule of the judges(?)

8. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

As I said in another thread... I ain't ever going to seattle.

9. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

I like the show but not the auditions. The auditions they show are so dumb, because you get the impression that Randy, Paula and Simon personally go through every single auditioner. Not true -- they have other people who screen them first. Which makes you wonder why, in that case, such weirdos get to appear before the Big 3 on TV, right? Ratings, pure and simple. People like to see the weirdos. If they did it in a normal fashion, all the audition shows would have on them would be reasonably decent singers that the Big 3 then got to whittle down to a predetermined few. And that would be pretty boring for viewers.

So you know these "screeners" are purposely putting in the weirdos and horrible singers for entertainment value, right? Which is kinda cruel, and explains why these horrible folks actually think they are GOOD when they appear before the cameras. Makes a little more sense now.

In fact, I have a sneaking suspicion that the producers are out looking for weirdos and paying them to appear on camera and act goofy. Could be wrong, but who knows?

We had a woman on our local news last night that said she went to Seattle to audition (why she came from OH to WA for this is beyond me) and the screeners said she was good, they didn't want her this year but did want her for next year's show. Which is kind of confusing when you consider the bad singers that did get through to the Big 3, unless you consider the weirdovision factor I mentioned above. :)

10. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

I wanted to badly not to watch, but I couldn't figure out which remote changed the channel, and dh bought a new TV which I have no clue how to turn off!!! :Bawling:

11. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

The blond with the red lips was scary.

12. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

I wasn't that disgusted until I had Glenn Beck on......he was talking about that really "round" kid in the red shirt........he was totally wrong! He said the guys parents were there.......but the guy talking was his friend........not a parent. Then he said the judges were being mean, stringing the guy along. Actually they were being really nice to this guy whose elevator isn't all the way up, I don't think. They were sweet. And his singing wasn't as bad as some.
    Just one more reason to think Glenn is a moron. :1pig: ( I have many) Thank goodness for Laura Ingram, I can change it to her.

13. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

And yes I am glad I live as far away from Seattle as you can about get. :eek:

14. primal1

primal1 Well-Known Member Supporter

i only watch it till they stop showing the 'what were these people thing' people hehe

15. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

I don't like these first few episodes, once they start singing for real, I enjoy it. Most nights. Occasionally they have a set of songs I just DO NOT care for.

16. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

There are weirdos everywhere. If I lived in Seattle, I'd be pretty P.O.ed at the show right now because, as I said before, I SWEAR they find weirdos to put on the show on purpose. So it appears that the fair city of Seattle was FRAMED.

Oh, and I also thought they were surprisingly kind to the obese lisping red-shirt guy. They seem to have a good sense for who can take the abuse and who can't; even Simon isn't always horrible. Usually right, though!

17. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

I'm not hugely fond of the first few episodes either. I feel too bad for the people. I really liked some of the good singers, though. What's up with Paula Abdul this year? I can't even understand what she's saying!

18. suzfromWi

suzfromWi Well-Known Member Supporter

Kelly Pickler was on the View and said that all those people have to sigh wavers. They know what could happen and choose to do it anyway. If they are that stupid, and dont look in a mirror or hear themselves, then go for it. I DO think though that the judges are acting like spoiled brats. I wish they,d show more of the good singers, even those that didnt make it. Also, whats with the singing after the show? All are singing the same number. When did that happen?

19. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

Well in all fairness to any city. It is not the CITY's people. Many contestants come from other cities. I unfortunatly was able to watch OVER and OVER again the bad signers on our local news channels. All of them! One even intervieeewed the red shirt guy you were mentioning above, oooyyyy. Thank goodness for mute button! I saw the Seattle intial interviews on the news they are screened first by a panel of 5 judges before going onto the chooping team.
    I did think that Simon was over the top in rudeness with the buldging eye guy 'Kenneth'. Calling him a monster and monkey was WWWWAAAAAYYY to rude! I think the guy from Salt Lake City area who looked scared and confused most of the time will wind up with a record contract like Quan (previous years patsy). He is still doing concerts in our area. In fact was at the alderwood Mall not but a few days ago. I personally would never spend my money.
    I watch it for the entertainment value during the interviews, but much prefer the actual competitions!

20. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

Did you guys see a guy on Wednesday night, African American with well groomed dreadlocks? He is the school president at my kid's school. They wanted to see him on T.V., but we don't get T.V. here unless we pay for it.

If he was on, how did he do?