Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In July I purchased 2 breeding sets of pedigreed American Blues. My first attempt to breed was unsuccessful (probably my fault as this was my first time trying to breed rabbits) so I bred again towards the end of August. I kept them in an a/c environment cause I live in az and it's hot and I wasn't prepared. Well around the first of September one doe was killed by my dog. The other who is three years old gave birth to three kits but they all three died within the first day. I rented the remaining doe and she was supposed to give birth this week (40 days was Sunday). I really don't want to cull her because she is papered and I feel keeping a endangered species going is the least I can do but I have spent three full months now trying to get a litter and it just isn't happening and my financial position does not really warrant feeding non productive animals.
I have since bought two breeding sets of nz Reds and already have a litter of six week old healthy kits. So I'm not abandoning rabbits on a whole but don't know what I should do about my non productive blues.
Any help will be great fully appreciated.
P.s. When put together the male does what he is supposed to do but the doe will not lift for him. On the last round I got two successful mates by manually lifting her.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have been raising American Blues for seven years. Three years old is pretty old for a doe especially if she has been bred a lot, I wouldn't pay for a three year old rabbit. What do you mean by "renting" the other doe?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts