Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a one and a half month old ram lamb. He is American Black Belly Breed. I was wondering if any one has experience with this breed. He was an orphan, he is still on the bottle, and he is now my pet. I guess I have questions on when to wether him, and the right feed for him. Right now he is on show lamb feed and the milk replacer, and grass from foraging. Is this sufficient? I also have a wool show lamb and he is also on the show feed. Do they both need alfalfa as well? I have tons of questions. LOL

·
sheep & antenna farming
2,845 Posts
I would suggest you wether him as soon as the testicles are down. We do most of our Katahdins at a few days old unless they can't be banded yet. The sooner the better.

Good luck with your boy. If he will have horns, he's probably an American blackbelly. If he's polled, he's a Barbados blackbelly. There are a lot of blackbelly crosses out there, too. Often called Barbado or Barb. The classic blackbelly markings are beautiful.

Peg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1409244829.624056.jpg

Thank you for replying! He is a pretty boy. :) I posted a pic. I'm not sure what kind of horns he'll have. I never got to see his parents. He kind of fell in my lap, so to speak.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts