Amazon Fabric Mulches? what one is best?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by LittleRedHen, Jan 10, 2018.

1. LittleRedHen

LittleRedHen Well-Known Member Supporter

I would like to buy some fabric mulch off Amazon. I see the prices is better than buying from Home Depot/Lowes. This is my first year buying fabric mulch. I would like to see it last a couple years. I am using it for onions mostly but would like to also try it with tomatoes, squash and cucumbers too. I have sandy soil so i am looking to reduce moisture loss as well as cut down on the weeds. I plan on mulching over top and running some PVC type irrigation in a gravity fed from a 55 gal barrel type situation. The garden is just a bit too far for sprinklers and such as the pressure goes way down that far from the house. I can fill a barrel though :) I gardened this area last year but I really need to reduce my dependency on needing water out there so I am thinking the fabric mulch would help a lot. I also don't have a lot of time for weeding. Again, its sandy :)

But I don't know what fabric mulch is good and what is a waste of time. This is going to be for approx 2250 onions, 100-200 tomato plants, then 25 or so cucumber plants and some squash. That is just that garden. I am a bit of a garden aholic.. :) Lol.. I have other gardens closer to the house that has other needy plants but I wasnt sure if carrots would do well with fabric. So I am going to put those closer to the house and can manage them a little better. Though I do want tips on carrot growing too! less stress and weeding! yet growing in sandy areas that may or may not get enough rain. But for this post- Just tell me about that fabric mulch! what do i want to spend money on? I need lots of food on a small budget!:)

2. saralee

saralee Well-Known Member

3. saralee

saralee Well-Known Member

I was about to rant about not using fabric mulch since weeds grow in the mulch and their roots penetrate down into the soil and makes removing it a royal pain. Then I noticed the size of your garden. Ye gods! Whatever you use, get the heaviest you can, and be sure to remove it at the end of the season or you may not be able to

4. geo in mi

geo in mi Well-Known Member Supporter

You'll see the term, Mil. That stands for the thickness of the fabric. Really cheap will be 1 mil, (1 Millimeter )The price goes up as the plastic gets thicker. 4 mil is average to better(that's the thickness of Hefty heavy duty garbage bags), 6 mil would be the best. BUT, ultraviolet light from the sun, plus windstorms, will likely tear it apart, so I would stay with the 4 mil, get the width I needed, and find the cheapest vendor, with freight costs.

I don't use fabric on my MI sand, rather, I will buy straw, or alfalfa hay, or keep the leaves I raked up last fall for mulch. I cultivate, and hoe a couple of times, then lay down the mulch in the row middles. Irrigation is usually overhead sprinkling, then just using the hose end in the saucer depressions I made for the transplanted plants and squash. Some years you get lucky, some years not, with rainfall. I always get lucky with my resident deer herd.....they would love to put new hoof holes into the plastic each and every night(just like punching bubble wrap....)--another thing to consider.

I think you'll be doing a LOT of canning?

geo

Marcia in MT likes this.
  5. Callieslamb

Callieslamb Well-Known Member

Buy the heaviest you can find if you want it to last more than one year. I've had great luck with painter's paper. I roll it out, tack it down with some dirt along the edges; use a sharpened hoe handle to make holes; drop the onions in and ta da...no weeds for the season.

6. geo in mi

geo in mi Well-Known Member Supporter

Is that the red resin paper you can get in the roll? Not too expensive, either. Hmmmm, if I can get my living room painting done before spring....

geo