Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by tnborn, Jul 1, 2005.

1. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Am I the only one that had trouble growing a garden this year? Most of it died and didn't come up. What has came up is not producing yet.
    tnborn

2. ozarksnick

ozarksnick Don't Tread On Me!

Yup it's just you! ;)

Just kidding. I have two patches going.

One patch I bought 10-cent seeds from Wally World. The other I bought seed from the feed store. Very very few of the seeds from Wally World came up at all. The other plants are doing great.

3. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I had a few things do poorly, like lima beans. I had to replant cucumbers and peppers after a surprise late frost. Other than that, it's looking pretty much like a jungle out there.

Meg

4. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

We're doing pretty well overall, but there have been a few disappointments - I doubt if we'll get any eggplant this year, and why did only one pumpkin plant make it?? If it makes you feel any better, I do think that things in our area are about a week behind "normal" harvest times. My cherries, peas, and blueberries all matured kinda late this year. So maybe just wait a bit more and things will get better? (crosses fingers)

5. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Mine was doing very well until a couple of full grown deer got in, via my DECK! They ate almost everything. I will start over, but it has to cool off a little bit first. I still do have potatoes and a few lima bean plants.

hollym

6. Becky H.

Becky H. Well-Known Member

I had problems with weed seed germinating off some horse manure that went in the garden last year. We been fighting it but all under control now.

Then there is the next weed to germinate somethign that spreads quickly. So been fighting that now but at least this one doesnt have prickles. :rolleyes:

It's been the not so much rain and then lots of rain for days that caused me problems with the weeds and the plants.

I hoe up the weeds and let them sit on top of ground to die so then comes along rain for 4 days and helps them to grow again :bash: So then I got wise and then raked them to the compost pile.

And the rain dampened off a couple of the tomato plants but the bright side is we did get a couple ripe tomatoes last week on some husky cherry plants.

Anaheim peppers doing good with some good size peppers on them but not the various bells.

7. starjj

starjj Well-Known Member Supporter

The only problem here in Middle TN. is NO rain. Other than that I am drowning in zuccinni and squash lol. Tomatos are soooooo slow. The plants are certainly big enough (never had such tall plants) but they are slow to ripen. We had wondeful aspargus and brocilli (sp) earlier this year. Peppers seem like they are never going to produce, I have pretty much written them off :(. Pole beans, wax beans, limas, and bush beans are doing OK but sure could use the rain. Eggplant I don't know about yet. The best is the raspberries I am drowning in them but what a way to go.

8. Kygardengal

Kygardengal Well-Known Member

Well you can feel better now, because I have the worse garden in years.
    My broccoli was good, my potatoes are on the small side but still good.
    HOWEVER, everything else is gone. Either the deer ate it or the drought
    has killed it. Deer ate all my sweet potatoes day after I put out the slips,
    all of the flowers on the tomatoes, all of the melons (just stems left), all the peppers, beans and squash. I have actually given up for this year. I am desperately watering my blueberries to at least keep them alive. I thought
    I was doing ok with the deer til we had the fields cut for hay. Next day, all was gone :( So cheer up....I have my hopes on a few fall things and NEXT
    year. I have a friend with abundance so he is sharing...the rest I'll have to
    buy at farmer's market.

9. wizzard

wizzard future nomad

mine did horible this year also, the pepers are ok, and the letuce was good early on, but otherwise most things died or didnt produce

10. yellowlab2

yellowlab2 Well-Known Member

Pretty much everything is doing well (including the weeds). The eggplant is sketchy though. We bought a little submersible pump, and are pumping the dirty water from the duck pools into the garden when we change it. Other than that, we've only irrigated once. Bob

11. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I feel for you Tnborn. I had awful gardens success the past 2 years, but this year the weather has cooperated and this is the best garden ever. Here in NY the corn is twice as tall as usual for July 3rd, tomatoes are thick and sturdy, and I've been eating and selling stuff as fast as I can pick it.

Wonder why you had such bad luck?

12. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Mine isn't doing well, neither is my neighbor's. Things just didn't grow very fast in the Spring and now it's so dry that everything is dying. My mom's garden in Alabama has been very slow to grow as well.

We've been trying to water, but are pretty much at the point of giving up on everything but the tomatoes and sweet potatoes. Peanuts seem to be doing okay, but the corn, beans and all but one pumpkin are goners. The lima beans are full of pods, but the seeds aren't developing before the pods dry up and fall off.

If it doesn't rain soon we're going to start losing trees. Hubby is worried sick about the 33 acres of hardwoods we planted in January. It's going to cost us quite a bit if we lose them and there's no way we can water 33 acres!

Our ponds are drying up and soon we will have to start feeding hay and hauling water for the horses. We're going to get hay Tuesday.

It really makes me sad. This was the first time in three years I was able to garden and it's a flop. I wasn't expecting it to be a huge success since we've never had a garden here, but I didn't expect the rain to cease either!

13. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

My Garden is fantastic! It's the biggest I've ever been able to grow. The season is sooooooo long compared to where we used to live.
    It is mostly seeds from Baker Seed Company. Six kinds of tomato's, two kinds of Corn, three squash, three cucumber, two peas, three peppers, two beets, two okra, two cabbage, aspaurgas, four watermelon, two cantalopes, two cucumber, two homeydew, .
    From C0-0P two Squash, one Cucumber, two kinds of corn.
    From trades in seeds clubs on internet four squash, three corn, two amaranth, two pumkins, one ruhbarb, one watermelon.
    From Relatives and friends I've made two watermelon, one cantalope, two cucumber, four ornamental gourds, one squash.
    I have nine kinds of flowers on property I'm goint to get seeds from and transplant, six tree's also.
    I've bought eighteen fruit trees and planted them.
    I've fought the Deer, Ground hogs, rabbits, squirrrels, crows, and I'm winning, with help form Mr. Ruger and Mr. Remington.
    I also have between fifty and seventy flowers, and around fifty herbs, seeds I brought from Wyoming. Waiting for my Greenhouse completion.
    I have the promise of around twenty garden vegetable seeds from people around here.
    My Gardens are 153 x 122 feet and 145 x 99 feet and 90 x 60.
    My compost pile is twenty by fifteen feet and over three feet high.
    If I don't get enough rain I water about every seven days.
    90 percent of vegetable seeds are Heirloom. also about 75 percent of flower seeds are also.
    My helpers are, my dear wife, our two strange cats, a neighbors Basset hound, and a jack russel from somewhere. shadowwalker

14. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

The heat is really beginning to take a toll now on our garden. I try to water daily, but the plants are just cooking in this 98-101 temps.Managed to get all the corn done and in the freezer for winter, but the tomatoes are really suffering.

15. Donovan K

Donovan K Well-Known Member

My container garden of tomatoes, chilies, bell peppers, cucumbers, etc has had mixed resuts due to water... wayyyyyyyyyy too much.

June was the second wettest month on record with rain twenty two out of thirty days here, and every day so far in July. The cherry tomatoes have done well and I have harvested a lot so far and thing there will be more to come. The cucumbers produced about three or four per plant that were good but now the leaves are all yellow and full of holes from too much water.

Many of the other tomato plants, romas and a golden slicing variety, have suffered and at limping along with too much water. The mustard greens washed out completely. The leaf lettuce is still thriving, I dont know how.

The green pepper plants are faded to such a light green color they look strange. They are still producing slowly. The chilies are going all right but slow growth. The banana peppers slowed down from too much water.

I am hoping the rain slows down some. An inch or more a day is hard to cope with. I have higher hopes for the fall garden as the rainy season ends.

Last year, all my plants were destroyed by two hurricanes that passed right through my place. I will be happy with the rain as long as the hurricanes stay away this year.

Donovan (starting to mold a little around the edges from the rain)

16. MsPacMan

MsPacMan Well-Known Member

Ravenlost,

It finally rained in your neck of the woods the last day or two, hasn't it? (It rained all night here last night in west Tennessee).

I sure hope it helps those 33 acres of trees.

Memphis weather men are predicting more rain for later this week, too.

Hope this helps ya!

:eek:

17. Becky H.

Becky H. Well-Known Member

What type of cherry tomatoes do you have? The itty bitty ones or the larger ones? My husky cherry tomatoes are the ones that are thriving the best in these varying conditions of alternating rain/drought we've been having. And they're first to mature! I am going to try the husky cherry tomatoes next year too since they are heavy producer and thriving so well!

18. teresab

teresab Well-Known Member

It has been very dry here in NW Pa. This is my first year for a garden at our new place...I have been watering every day but try to do it in short doses because I am worried that I will drain our well. Over all the garden is doing OK for the first year but I have had to replant a couple of times because things didn't germinate, plants dried up and died,crows got it, and now I am fighting the Japaneese beetles!! In the fall I will be putting on cow manure the neighbor is bringing over...hopefull that will give it a boost for next year.
    Gardening really is a kind of gamble ...isn't it.

19. Kygardengal

Kygardengal Well-Known Member

This is also my first year at this garden plot...Always lots of grass and weeds first year..Next year will be better and each year after. I just have my sites on next year. I had tried a garden method that a friend uses...You plant a 4 ft wide row then leave 4 ft of grass, then another and another row of grass.
    Well, it may work in a backyard but it sure didn't work for me...I'm going back
    to my old method of just tilling up the whole patch....

20. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, we finally got some rain! Not much, but it's better than nothing. We had a storm blow through Monday night and then it rained again yesterday afternoon. Not a ground soaker, but I'm sure the 33 acres of trees appreciated the drink of water!