Am I the only one that hates buying a car?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by clovis, Dec 12, 2005.

1. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

Wife and I are in a postion that we HAVE to buy a car this week.

My old junker has real problems that will take me several weeks to fix. I just cannot make it go anymore, right now.

I have done all the shopping and research for four months, and have it narrowed down to two choices. We knew this purchase was coming up and have been preparing for it.

I have lived the past 20 years driving hand me downs and junkers.

Spending that much cash and making this decision is literally making me sick to my stomach. There is not one ounce of fun or joy in this process for me.

Am I the only person that hates this?

I don't need any "what brand to buy" advice, just some input and thoughts on this buying a car.
    clove

2. Country Lady

Country Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

No, you're not the only one who hates buying a car. It doesn't bother me quiet as bad now that I'm older, but large purchases use to literally make me ill. I think one reason I hate buying a car so much, besides the high cost, is the back and forth bickering you have to do with the salesperson. If only buying cars were like purchasing anything from WalMart, it would be easier.

3. TamInAz

TamInAz Well-Known Member

Dh & I both Hate buying cars and Always hold off until the last possible moment! Sometimes that isn't the best thing to do :)

I'm probably worse than dh about this, heck I even name the darn things ...they last longer that way <G> My grandpa told me that and sure enough I've never been caught in the middle of the highway w/overheat or had a flat tire w/kids intow, etc.

4. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

The back and forth with a dealership doesn't bother me a bit.

If we buy the new Chevy, the dealer just gives a locked price. I have called 12 Chevy dealerships, and he is by far the cheapest. The same applies if we buy the used Ford.

I just hate spending that much money on a car.

I have bought houses with about as much worry as buying a candy bar.

But this car thing....spending the thousands we have frugally saved to dump into an object that will be worthless in 6 or 7 years.

Maybe I need therapy. Maybe I am just plain weird.
    clove

5. TamInAz

Naw, you don't need therapy and you're not weird LOL. We didn't even Blink at what we laid out for the property or the animals, etc. But putting up big $s for a car Hurts.

6. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

TamInAZ, spending that many thousands on a car that doesn't even excite me that much.
    Now if I could afford a Cadillac CTS.....maybe I wouldn't be so sick....LOL
    clove

7. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Yes,I hate buying cars,and hate dealerships.

Booboo

8. TamInAz

IF I was 16 again (believing I was Immortal) and could buy a Lamborgini...Then I think I could get excited!!! Oh, no cops around either LOL.

9. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

There are elements of it that I despise.

I despise dealing with salesmen.

I despise getting raped by the state by having sky high license fees.

I despise getting raped by my state yet again for having to pay personal property tax on the car I own.

I then really hate seeing my insurance rates go through the roof because I'm driving a new vehicle.

Of course I hate plunking down the truly obscene amount of money that one spends on a new vehicle. I know a man who just picked up a new truck last weekend. Wrote out a check for 62,000 dollars. Yup. Obscene. I remember when I wrote the check for my first new vehicle I messed the check up twice. At the age of 17 20 grand was the biggest check I had ever written.

I do absolutely love the smell of a new car though.
    I love picking and choosing the options and features of a new vehicle.
    I love that new "feel".
    I love knowing that I can walk out to that little cocoon of technology and drive anywhere in this great country I wish to. Being that it is new I know it won't be breaking down and I won't have to be wrenching on it every 100 miles or so.
    I like to have a nice looking car. Part of me is still a teenage boy who is still a bit vain about a nice ride.
    Even after having had a driver's license for - gosh almost 17 years now I guess- there is still a bit of magic there when it come to cars and driving for me.

10. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

We didn't even spend $60,000 on our house! If I had that much money to burn I'ld have had my 40 acres already. I absolutely hate the thought of spending so much for something too cramped to live in. Better off to buy used and cheap if you can fix the problems someone else didn't want. The only vehicle we spent a lot of money on is the 15 passenger van. For some reason we have been blessed with good used car deals just when we needed a car. (and for that we are very thankful)

11. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Well-Known Member

the money experts state to never buy a car lass than 4 years of age.... that most of the depreciation happens within those first 4 yrs..

hows that old joke go?.... How do you turn 20 grand into 5 grand in a few short years? buy a car.

12. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

My husbands mom was all excited this past summer because she had completely paid off her car. Not even two weeks after she sent in her last check, she was hit by a drunk driver. Totalled her paid-off car, and she had to get a new one. Now she's back to making monthly payments for another 5 years.

I have yet to go through the car-buying fiasco, but I know one thing... I will buy used. Right now I get a sick feeling in my stomach every time I drive my husband's '04 Dodge Ram, because (he wanted a new vehicle with a hemi) we are paying more for it every month than we are for rent. And gas mileage? Don't get me started on that...

13. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

The most expensive scent in the world is the scent of a new car. I would buy used, but that's me. Being put in a situation with a time limit where you HAVE to do something right away always limits your choices and sometimes costs you more. I would rather have 3 used vehicles then 1 new one.

14. TnAndy

TnAndy Well-Known Member Supporter

The best way I've found to buy one is go pick out what you want, test drive, etc.....then go home, call all the dealerships around.....ask to speak to the sales manager, who can cut out the salesman commission if he wants. Tell him you want this model, which whatever options you want and color, etc, and tell him you'll call back in 30 minutes for a price.....one time, best price, whoever gets it is where you buy the car.

You'd be amazed at the differences in price.

Had one guy tell me "We don't do business that way" Fine, the other guys do...."Well, wait....I'll do it JUST THIS ONCE"....ahahahahahaa

Another one, after giving me the price, asked "Well, how does that sound ? " It sounds about 1100 bucks higher than the best price I have so far, but thanks for your quote. "YOU CAN'T BUY THAT CAR FOR THAT PRICE !"
    Well, buddy....you may be right since I don't yet have the car in hand.....but if I do, do you want me to wave as I drive back by your place ?

Another part of the 'whole car buying experience' I love is the trip back to the finance office.

We bought a Honda Civic back in late 80's. My TI calculator said the payment should have been 201.50/mo for 48 months. Finance guy types for what seemed like an hour, then slides the papers across his desk....."There-ya-go......that will be 254.80/mo"

Huh ? ....what's that include BESIDES the car ?

"Oh, well, that's got your credit life and disability in it"

Nope.....overpriced life insurance.....don't want it

He scowels a little, re-does the paper work, then slides it back " OK, that brings it to 224.30/mo"

HUH ? WHAT does that include besides the car ?

"Well, that also has your extended warranty in there"

Nope....don't want that either.

And the guy SCREAMS this time "WELL WHY NOT ?"

Well, buddy, the car has a 3 year warranty and if anything happens in that time, YOU ARE GONNA FIX IT.......and after the warranty, I'm a pretty decent mechanic, I'll take care of it. How about you just let ME worry about ME, and sell me a car ?

Re-figures it again, and comes up with 201.50/mo.

Bingo.....slide the papers over here dude.

They make 50% pure profit on credit life and extended warranties, which is WHY they push them so hard.....they actually make a slice on the financing as well if you go with their bank, but this particular JA had already messed up there......at the start of the process, he had offered us 'their' bank financing slightly cheaper than the best we could do at the credit union, so I figure he bought down the rate figuring to way more than make it up on the 'extras'.....then when I didn't go for them, he was doubly screwed......ahahahahahaaa.......what a hoot to deal with these sharks.

15. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Car dealers, yuck!! New car, never! For lot years now, I have only bought from auctions or private individuals. Not for everybody, used car can be a money pit if a person has to hire work done. I can work on my own junk so mostly want solid body, no problem swapping engines or whatever if necessary. Do prefer not to get vehicle where I have to be a double-jointed midget to work on it. Lot newer ones with no working room. Have to remove whole drivetrain to do anything.

16. BeaTX

BeaTX Member

We always hate buying a car, and for the first 12 years of our marriage pretty much drove junkers because I hate car payments and we couldn't afford it anyway with me staying home. So this last year we got some inheritance (sp?) money and went and bought a year old Explorer, and got the extra 5 year/ 100,000 mile warranty. That way we can drive it until it's as old as the others and it should be in good shape that way. I hated spending that much money, but on the other side it felt good knowing I wasn't going to be paying a $300 car payment for five years like we have friends doing.
    Bridgett

17. JAK

JAK Well-Known Member

Unless you are a peacock, a car is just to get you from A to B. If you are a peacock, then it is also to sho the peahens how much money you have to waste. What annoys me about cars and politics is how few choices there really are. It would be nice if you could buy a car without an engine so you could put in your own.

18. travis91

travis91 Formerly 4animals.

our familly has only ever bought one "new' car and it sucked stupid dodge daytona turbo Z my dad refuuses to buy anything made by dodge.

19. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

I did buy a new car about 1 1/2 years ago. The prices and dealing with the salesmen was making me sick to.

I finally went to the bank and qualified for my own. No more dealing with the salesman for financing. Then I quit looking at cars when the dealer was open. I'd go on sunday morning or evenings after the saleman left. When I finally found the car I wanted I called them on the phone and told them what car I wanted, that I had my own financing and he would have one shot at selling it to me, so name your bottom line price. If I didn't like it I kept looking and he didn't make the sale. I finally picked up what I wanted for the price I wanted and didn't let them control me. I even showed up at the dealership with the check already wrote so they could try to tack anything on later.

20. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, I'm with you on this. We bought one "new" car back in the 80's, a Dodge---yep, won't ever (1) buy another Dodge anything, and (2) won't buy a "new" car again. What a lemon that thing was! We buy used cars with low mileage, BUT that said, they also cost way too much. So we drive our poor things way past their life-time. Right now I'm holding out until next summer---I hope---if "Little Blue" will just hold on! She's been good for many years.