Am I missing my does cycles?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tavia, Oct 21, 2006.

1. tavia

tavia Well-Known Member

I just got my first dairy goats this summer. 2 nubian does, one alpine. I have been watching them every day for signs of them being in heat, but can't tell anything. No vulva swelling, no tail wagging, no one trying to ride anyone, no noisy does. I even got a buck rag from our breeder, I show it to them every day...not interested.
    Is it possible I'm missing it? We live in upstate New York, it seems like they should have started their cycles by now. Any advice?

2. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

This is our first year waiting for heat. We have a buck way over to the other side, and he arrived just a week ago. We have watched the girls carefully, and here is what we learned: the seasoned veteran SCREAMS when she is in heat. We know now that! We put her in the breeding pen Friday and it was a no go. Didn't want anything to do with him. Yesterday, a whole different ball game. Lots of neck stretching, tail wagging furiously, very vocal, standing at the gate screaming, no amount of food would quiet her so we figured that must be it. And it was. They had a "date" last evening.

This may not be much help since we have a buck here and I think that increases the liklihood of knowing. We still have two yearlings that we are waiting for-I hope they are a bit more subtle (less screaming) as it sets my nerves on edge--although the echoing did enhance the Halloween bonfire we staged last night for DD's Girl Scout party!

Vanessa
    near Nashville

3. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

Just wondering do you have a buck?

I have a few does I'm wanting to breed but there is no buck here at this farm so I got a fresh sticky smelley buck rag and tried to bring my does in season but no luck. So I'm about ready to put my breeding on hold until I can find a buck to be able to have here on the farm. I only 2 other does that will come in season but I can't breed them because of being to small but this next spring darn it I going to make up for my lost. I think it is very best to get a buck to have so the does can smell him and see him. Just my 2 cents worth there.

Good Luck on your goats. :)

4. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Although some have luck with buck rags, they've never worked for me or anyone else I know. Some does just won't show overt signs unless a buck is present. I had a doe here for stud service that didn't give any signals until the buck was right next to her. So just because you're not seeing anything, it in no way means they are not cycling.

5. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Tavia, is there anyway you could borrow the buck you intended to use? Let's say for a week. The buck can throw them out of cycle and into breeding over-drive. With a buck on your homestead there won't be any doubt about who's ready and who's not. Either the buck will notify ya by constant yelling or the doe's behavior will change dramatically. You didn't mention how old the three does are, that could also be a factor. My youngest two does (seven months old) just came into heat yesterday, while my older does came into cycle the first week of September. Quite a difference....Hang in there, it will happen. Move another state closer to Tennessee and your does will surely smell my two stinky boys. Can the rag, borrow the buck.....Tennessee John

6. tavia

tavia Well-Known Member

Thanks for all your kindly replies. To answer your questions, 2 of my does are 4 years old and one is her first year (we won't breed her till Dec)
    I thought about buying a buck, but I don't know if having a buck around is a good idea for us. We have a small setup, no extra stalls for bucks, plus I think they would make the milk off flavor (that's what I've heard) and I don't know if there's anyone around who would "lend" us thier buck.(that was a good idea)
    The breeder is willing to board our does for 3 weeks at a time for a dollar a day to make sure they are bred, does that seem like a good idea?
    -thanks Tavia

7. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Tavia, I think I'd take the buck owner up on her offer to board. As long as you are both comfortable with the health of your goats (I'd recommend CAE tests to be sure) this should work out nicely for you and get your girls settled. Yes, very often does just being introduced to bucks will come into heat within days.