Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Single Urban Homesteader
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a 2 night camping trip for my birthday and I'm a little nervous about missing something. This is only my second time out, and this time it's 1.5 miles of backpacking and a ferry ride that only runs 4 times a day away from civilization. What do you think? There's water and firewood available within walking distance. The site has a picnic table and firepit.

• Clothes: 2 changes, raincoat
  • Cleanup: collapsible sink, sponge, soap, towel, wet wipes, hand sanitizer, garbage bags
  • Cooking: pot, 2 cup/bowls, hobo tool, hot pad
  • Entertainment: Bible, book, cards, puzzle book, yahtzee
  • First aid kit
  • Food: 2 breakfasts, 2 dinners, tuna & crackers, beef jerkey, granola bars, dried fruit
  • Eye care: glasses case, glasses, cleaner, contact case, and contact solution
  • Tools: multi tool, knife, paracord, firesteel, matches, lantern, spare batteries, phone, portable phone charger
  • Shelter: tent, sleeping bag, stakes, and hammer
  • Toiletries: toilet paper, deoderant, tooth brush, tooth paste, brush and hair tie, bug bpray, sunblock, lip balm
  • Water: Collapsible water jug, water bottles, filter, instant coffee packets, flavored water packets

·
Registered
410 Posts
You even packed the kitchen sink?
I only have two suggestions. first the first aid kit did you fill it or is it just the way it came from the store? If you didn't fill it make sure you go through it pull out the dumb stuff or really cheap stuff and refill it. When I bought mine there must've been 10 or 12 packs of sunburn relief a couple of small gauze pads just a bunch of stuff not necessary or poor quality . The people selling these kits could care less if you make it back home. We found out the hard way on a fishing trip with my wife where she wound up with a bunch of stitches and nothing to really stop the bleeding. Ace bandages, Quick clot and super glue are great to have as well. The only other thing that I can see you might need is a Thermocell. I never go to the woods with out mine.

·
Reluctant Adult
8,956 Posts
Clothespins and a compass (although your multi-tool may have the compass). Clothespins come in handy for all kinds of things: Securing trash bags where you want them to stay, hanging items that get wet, etc. They don't weigh much.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
a decent coat and a top and bottom longhandled polypro in case temps drop...its getting into fall ya know.

walking stick

side arm

fishing pole....lets see if you can catch ya dinner and save the freeze dried for another trip....frugal bushcraft.

·
Single Urban Homesteader
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
a decent coat and a top and bottom longhandled polypro in case temps drop...its getting into fall ya know.

walking stick

side arm

fishing pole....lets see if you can catch ya dinner and save the freeze dried for another trip....frugal bushcraft.
I think you are right about an extra layer, especially with my site being on lake michigan. I'll definitely be carrying!

I've been waffling on a pole as I didn't want to have my hands full the whole way there.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
i double dog dare you to take a wild edibles book and see what you can actually do and use the freeze dried as back up...like try and get any berries left and make a easy fast syrup with a bit of sugar and take a bit of flour and make pancakes....should be fast and easy...if not syrup just crush up berries and drop in batter....pour..flip..eat..pour ...flip....eat.

camera....i wanna see lots of pics...lol

p.s. no guts no glory....lol

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Lots of good ideas above (especially the walking stick), but you may want to consider adding some nylon twine or zip ties. They can come in handy in a pinch. You've got a fire pit, so I'm guessing no stove is needed nor is any water purification, either tablets or filters. I usually carry an inflatable mattress pad, but then I'm a wimp. Have a great hike/campout.

·
Single Urban Homesteader
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i double dog dare you to take a wild edibles book and see what you can actually do and use the freeze dried as back up...like try and get any berries left and make a easy fast syrup with a bit of sugar and take a bit of flour and make pancakes....should be fast and easy...if not syrup just crush up berries and drop in batter....pour..flip..eat..pour ...flip....eat.

camera....i wanna see lots of pics...lol

p.s. no guts no glory....lol
haha that would be fun, but considering I'm a newbie (and the nearest hospital is 55 miles away if those berries go wrong) I think for now I'll stick to learning the ropes

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
Wow, that's a lot of stuff. I went on my first backpacking trip this year - 5 days on Isle Royale - and I way over-packed. I was worried I would need lots of food/calories, but I think I ate less than what I do at home.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
haha that would be fun, but considering I'm a newbie (and the nearest hospital is 55 miles away if those berries go wrong) I think for now I'll stick to learning the ropes

lol...chicken....lol......better be glad i aint there..i would hand ya a SS cup,water bottle,ferro rod and knife and toss ya pack overboard on the ferry and say we are going to get down to the nitty gritty of it......:D :kiss:...or tell ya you have to cull half that pack before we even leave....lol...:thumb:

·
Single Urban Homesteader
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol...chicken....lol......better be glad i aint there..i would hand ya a SS cup,water bottle,ferro rod and knife and toss ya pack overboard on the ferry and say we are going to get down to the nitty gritty of it......:D :kiss:...or tell ya you have to cull half that pack before we evenleave....lol...:thumb:

I got it packed up and it's ooonly 26 pounds. It'll be good exercise 😊

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Extra socks and a hat. I cannot stress enough the importance of either of those. Also taking a small note pad and a pen or pencil isn't a bad idea so you can write down anything you might want to remember from the trip, or any suggestions for you next one.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
is your cook set a Stanley set? with the 2 green cups?

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
i have one i am doing mods on....when its finished i will show on here.its getting geared towards doing more yourself kinda cooking instead of use with packaged goods...if that makes sense...poor mans cooking...so you can cook regular goods in it.the trick of cooking on fire is most people dont realize how easy it is to burn stuff so i am fixing it to stop that from happening .

Reactions: tambo and viggie
1 - 20 of 27 Posts