Am I being unreasonable to my dad?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Anita in NC, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Anita in NC

Anita in NC Well-Known Member

Here is the background info. My dad lives in England and comes to visit for a couple of weeks each year. He likes to go fishing and wants to have a boat on hand here when he comes to visit.

Years ago I bought him a rubber dingy and that was good enough for a few years.

Then my father-in-law offered me a free boat that needed repairs. The boat is an All American Larson Motor Boat which is about 30 plus years old.

FIL is in Michigan. I'm in NC. Hubby and I went for a visit and towed the boat back home.

Long story short we have invested over $500 and hours and hours of time. After the repairs we took the boat to the lake and couldn't get it to run even though the repair shop said it ran fine for them. Maybe we had dirt in our fuel tank or the mix was off.

Anyway, dad wants me to go and buy him a boat. He said he'll pay me back. Remember I paid for the last two boats. He says to make sure the engine runs. Now how would I make sure the engines runs without taking it to the lake? I made sure the other engine ran - paid for the repairs and had it serviced.

So my problem is I DON"T WANT TO go buy a boat for him.

I don't want to run round looking at boats, meeting people to get the title notorized, go to wildlife and fisheries to register the boat, go to DMV to get trailer sorted out etc.....

With the last boat it took 3 trips to DMV, 1 trip to wildlife and fisheries, 2 trips to the repair shop, 2 trips to the police station, not to mention the $500. We're talking hours of running back and forth with 3 kids in tow. Now obviously it was more difficult to register the last boat because of its age and lack of paperwork but still.

Not to mention that I no longer have a vehicle with a trailer hitch and it would cost something like $300 for one.

I know I should follow my own advice and just tell my dad NO. But he's going to get the hump. Should I write him a letter about all that is involved in getting a boat. Am I being unfair or unreasonable?

2. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

Is there any way you could rent a boat for 2 weeks when he comes to visit?

3. primal1

primal1 Well-Known Member Supporter

for a 100 bucks or so i'd get a mechanic to come to the house and fix the motor or try fresh gas/oil mix. From what i've heard boat motors run forever. Old/dirty gas or oil mix can be the problem.
    On the topic of dad, i don't think it's unreasonable to even tell him to pay upfront for a new boat, it's a luxury item and you have a family to take care of first. Find a boat, tell him how much to send you.

4. suitcase_sally

suitcase_sally Well-Known Member Supporter

This is a story for Judge Judy. Personally, I wouldn't expect someone to buy me a Car when I go to visit. A boat is just a car that floats.

5. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

If he is going to pay you back, tell him to just give you the money up front.

6. NWoods_Hippie

NWoods_Hippie Well-Known Member

I don't think you are being unreasonable, what is wrong with a nice wooden row boat and some oars, or the same wooden boat and a small electric trolling motor??

Used trolling motors are inexpensive and require MUCH less maintenance than gas motors, I have even put one on a flat transom canoe for fishing. One person fishing alone does not need that much room!

Margie

7. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

You already have a boat. He don't need two of them. If you have no trailer hitch, how will he get any boat to the water?? Your motor must run when properly treated. If your motor isn't too heavy to lift, it could be put in a barrel of water to check it out. If not, I'd get it towed to a mechanic to check out. Nobody buys a boat to fish two weeks part time.

8. Anita in NC

If your battery is charged up how long would a trolling motor run on the battery?

I was looking on line at the cheapie plastic bass boats (under $500). I guess these are light enough that you could put it in the back of a pickup truck.

9. A'sta at Hofstead

A'sta at Hofstead Turkey Wrangler

I would ask dad to pay the money up front... or pay for a new motor for the classic old boat, it sounds nice! (Be extra nice to your dad, they don't last forever :()

10. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

My Dad died in 1993. I recon I'd do dang near anything for 2 weeks with him.

11. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

If he needs a boat that badly, why can't he take an extended vacation and do all the legwork himself?

12. NWoods_Hippie

NWoods_Hippie Well-Known Member

Anita,

I am trying to help, so I am going to ask a few questions.

When you took the Michigan boat to be worked on where did you take it? They said they fixed it, but they didn't, first off would take it back and have them explain to me just exactly is going wrong! If this boat has an outboard motor then that is all you need to take to them, not the entire boat as it seems that the motor is the problem.

Are you in a "lakey" area, meaning is there a lot of water where you live, if so you should be able to easily find a good used SMALL boat for sale, especially something that would fit with tie downs in the back of a pickup! I don't see the need to buy a new boat, is your Father on the water from dawn to dark, and is he by himself or does he take others with him?

A well charged battery will run and has run the trolling motor for my boat that I keep at the resort I caretake for for the better part of the day, but then I know all the good spots and don't move around a lot, I also keep oars in the boat and a second battery on the charger at the dock.

What you need is a lightweight aluminum fishing boat, the ones we have at the resort (mine included) are 14' long and wide enough to be stable enough for two or three people to stand up and cast from. They are almost exactly like the one in this picture from the Duroboat website, but they are 14' instead of 12'. Don't look at the price of these, it is crazy, but I feel that this is about all you would need to make your father happy.

http://www.rainnetworks.com/betasites/duro/boats-details.php?modelClass=12

Margie

13. Hammer4

Hammer4 Well-Known Member

There is no reason to own, maintain, pay taxes on a boat for that little usage....just find a place that rents them by the day and he can get one there when he needs one...and the rental place will be responsible for maintaining, paying taxes, etc etc during the rest of the year......

That's just crazy......

14. roughingit

roughingit knitwit

I'd go with renting one too. Let someone else worry about maintaining it and all! You should be able to rent a trailer with it even.

Now, I personally stick to canoes mostly (kayaks and rafts when I'm more adventurous, nothing with a motor), but I've heard many boats have trouble with the new gas with the added ethanol because it breaks down or something if it isn't used quick enough. Any driver/ motor boaters think this might be part of her troubles or am I just blowing smoke rings?

15. Anita in NC

NWoods Hippie:

When you took the Michigan boat to be worked on where did you take it?

I took it to a place that does boat repairs exclusively.

If this boat has an outboard motor then that is all you need to take to them, not the entire boat as it seems that the motor is the problem.

The boat has a big Johnson motor on it. I don't think the motor can be removed (easily) and all the cables for steering are attached to it. Sorry I can't be of more help as I don't know much about boats.

Are you in a "lakey" area, meaning is there a lot of water where you live, if so you should be able to easily find a good used SMALL boat for sale, especially something that would fit with tie downs in the back of a pickup!

We have lots of lakes near us with the closest being 5 min. drive down the road. There will probably be boats for sale in the Spring. I looked in the paper and no one is selling right now in Winter.

I don't see the need to buy a new boat, is your Father on the water from dawn to dark, and is he by himself or does he take others with him?

Dad wants to go all night fishing. He would be by himself.

I had checked into bat rental before and it was very expensive and was only during the day until the marina closed for the day.

I'm thinking he just needs a small boat with a trolling motor and a set of oars in case. I don't want to be responsible for another motor boat. The last one is just sitting in our yard as we haven't had time to even look at it.

16. mj1angier

mj1angier Well-Known Member

Anita,
    I would say that if he wants a boat to let hime pay for it up front. Have him go thru a marina to act as his broker. Advise him that this is the best way to get a boat that has been check out by somebody that know boats.
    The smart way to go is for him ( or you) to make friends with some local fishermen or tackle dealers. Some time offering to pay the expesives for the trip will get you a ride.
    He could also hire a guide. If only in for a week this is the best way to get on the fish.

17. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd get the boat you have fixed. What else are you doing with it otherwise? To sell it you have to get it fixed (at least, it would sell better), anyway, and your Dad can use it for two weeks when he's here, then sell it. Part of the visit he can use to find that smaller boat that would be easier to deal with if it's something he really, really likes to do.

I don't know how old you are or your dad is, but you only see him rarely and you never know how many years you have with him. If he really enjoys the fishing I'd see that he had the boat. Also, if he's out fishing he's not in the house all the time--he may realize that while you both want to see each other, it's not a good idea to see each other constantly for that two weeks.

Lucky you to still have a dad! :)

Jennifer

18. Anita in NC

Thank you all for your responses.

I am not concerned about whether dad pays up front or not.

I am thankful that I have both my parents (I am 38 and my dad is 62).

I do want him to have a great visit. In fact my parents actually come for 3 weeks but only 2 of those weeks are spent at my house because usually my husband and I take my mom and dad on an all expenses paid vacation. Over the years they have been to Key West, Disney World, the beach etc.....

I don't begrudge paying for their vacation while here after all they have spent a considerable amount of money just to come and visit. However, I don't have an endless supply of money either. As much as I would love to buy dad a boat I simple can't afford to.

I'll talk to my dad about one of the bass type plastic boats with a trolling motor that would fit in the back of a pickup. Maybe that would suit him well enough for the couple of weeks he is here at the house.