Am I being suckered?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jena, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

My little pygmy kid was doing ok. I took him back out to mom and then he got sick. I brought him back in the house. I've treated him and he's getting better, much better.

He drives me nuts. He cries when I put him in his box. If I take him out of the box, he falls asleep somewhere (after leaving a few offerings here and there). So I put him back in the box and he cries. I take him out, he acts hungry, so I feed him. He doesn't want to eat, he wants his chin scratched. He climbs all over me until I comply.

I understand he doesn't want to be alone, but sadly that's the situation. Is there something wrong with him, or is he just getting spoiled? Entitled to total attention? Should I just let him cry until he gets real serious about it?

Just how manipulative can little goats be????

Jena

2. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

Goats need a friend they are herd animals so he will scream his head off whenever he's alone till he falls asleep. Better just ignore him, youre teaching him to scream till you come running! Smart little fellow

3. Farmgirl2005

Farmgirl2005 Well-Known Member

Baby Goats are just like human infants, once they found out what gets them what they want they will keep doing it, so that they get what they want.Your lil' baby boy goat has figured out that when he cries he gets scratched feed and company and plenty of attention from someone he wants. Just let him cry and slowly wean him off of ALWAYS getting what he wants. You can take him out sometimes, just not all. He is already to used to.
    Hope this helps alittle.
    Lyn
    P.s. Found this out the hard way, with another lil' goat i had.

4. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Baby lambs are the same way. I had a baby lamb that I carried in the crook of my left arm for 3 weeks. I know I shouldn't have, but I couldn't stand hearing her scream. Later on she would happy just follow me around. At night she was suppose to sleep on the rug beside our bed, but probably 3 or 4 minutes after the bedroom lamp was turned off she would ease up on the side of the bed and start pawing at my arm. I would reach down, scoop her up and put her in between DH and I and there she slept (hogging my pillow) all night long without hardly budging. Good little bed buddy. First thing in the morning she would run out to pp and then right back in for her bottle. When she was first born I would use paper towels and wipe her back end to stimulate her pp and poo poo and catch it in the paper towel, but later on she would go outside.

5. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Sounds like the little bugger has you trained pretty well.

Goats just don't handle being alone. Do you have a calf or chicken or something he can buddy up with for now?

6. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

He keeps trying to buddy up with the cats, but they don't want to have anything to do with him :(

Jena

7. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

This is one reason I will never have just one bottle baby again. Kitty was horrible and pathetic...But she had the kitties to play with (she thought she was a cat). We always had more than one bottle baby so it was never an issue. Even if I have to take a kid being cared for off a dam I will do it to have at least two bottle babies.

The nice thing about Kitty was there were other people to give her the attention she wanted....

8. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

last spring, early spring, I had 16 bottle babies, in my kitchen. WOW, and 5 baby pom's, the small tiny teacup size. well, I had one pom, that always wnt in with the goats, we could not keep her out. she had her litter mates, but she wanted this one baby goat, they were best pals, and always slept, together, until the bottle babies went out side, then she was a very unhappy baby Pom, for about a week .And the baby goat? he would try his best to get back in the house, his buddy and partner in crime was in here, and he knew it.