aluminum sulfate question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ann Mary, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

I would like to know if aluminum sulfate is a "bad" thing to add to my blueberry plants that I just received in the mail. I only hear bad things about aluminun but is this form also bad? If so, what else can I use where there are no pine needles to make the soil acidic? Thanks!

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Look for just plain garden sulfur. I don't know about the aluminum stuff, never heard of putting it inthe garden. That is what they use in anti-perspirant. Never buy that stuff either. <G>

3. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

I can't think of what's wrong with aluminum sulfate. It's the same as alum which is used in a lot of food treatment and canning operations. Too expensive to use in a large garden but OK for small plantings such as the blueberries would be.

Martin

4. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I just tried to find info on wether or not aluminum sulfate could be considered "organic", with no luck. I found pine compost at our county landfill-they grind up the Christmas trees that folks put on the curb for collection.

5. spring77

spring77 Well-Known Member

The best thing to use to increase your soil acidity to lower the pH is elemental sulfur. Aluminum sulfate will acidify the soil but it takes four times as much of it as elemental sulfur AND it costs more. So why use a more expensive product that only works one quarter as well? Pine needles and compost will not work to lower your pH, you need to use the sulfur. I don't understand why the gardening books recomend aluminum sulfate, it is a waste of money as a fertilizer.

6. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Can you purchase elemental sulfur in Lowe's or the feed store? Maybe I'ver seen it and didn't know what is was for. Wait, don't you spray it on fruit trees?

7. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

thanks for the tips. The blueberries I ordered came from Henry Fields and they came with a bag of "free' aluminum sulfate....that's the only reason I even have it. Just trying to decide if I should actually use it or not. I think I'll look around for some sulfur. I am really looking forward to getting some berries! Just don't want to compromise our health by the way I grow them. Thanks all for your help!