Aluminum ice cube trays

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by JBourne76, Aug 20, 2006.

1. JBourne76

JBourne76 Bathtub Ninja

Why are they so hard to find? How did plastic ice cube trays become the norm?

I think that aluminum ones with the lever are awesome. Much easier to use.

2. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

I think the last ones I saw came into this house in a refridgerator that was in use before I was born! (I'm 49) I remember the new fridge that we got when I was in 5th grade came with the plastic trays. So that would have been 1969 or so? It's been a long time since the aluminum ones were common.

You're right about them, though, I loved that CRACK! they made breaking out. The plastic ones are not so fun. :)

Jennifer

3. BellsBunnies

BellsBunnies Well-Known Member

My guess Plastic was cheaper and have to be replaced more often-more money for the company.

4. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

I suspect part of the reason they disappeared from use was the number of older children who got into trouble stcking aluminum ice trays to their little sister's tongues.

5. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

I just saw a few of these at the flea market. The guy wanted $3 each for a single tray and he had a double tray that was $6!

What's the price of Aluminum at the scrap yard these days?

6. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

That and wet fingers. Plus the cubes seem to come out of the plastic trays a lot easier, twist and *pop*.

7. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Some of the plastic trays are hard to get the ice to pop out of. The Rubbermaid trays, blue and with a fishbone pattern to the cubes (they slant from the middle) are very easy to pop. You just give a little twist and they pop out. The plastic isn't as brittle so they don't tear or crack either. And since they are slanted, you can place them in opposite directions one on top of the other and the bottoms of the icetrays won't stick to the ice in the trays underneath.

8. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Well-Known Member

You can get the metal ones on ebay.

Ken & Sue in Glassboro, NJ :)

9. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

Eek, just the thought of the sound those old aluminum trays make, makes my hair stand on end! I am so thankful for plastic in this case, at least. :)

10. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

I didn't seem to have the muscle to pop those aluminum trays. Then again, I haven't used them since my early teens. :) I do hate ice cube trays, though, and have yet to ever have a fridge with an icemaker. So there's never any ice in my freezer. Thanks for the info on good trays -- I really have to get some easier ones. Such an inexpensive, simple thing!

11. JBourne76

JBourne76 Bathtub Ninja

A while back I got four aluminum ice trays for 50 cents. I *love* them. I'm always on the lookout for more of them. My dad, lucky dog, has a double one.

I stuck my own tongue to one when I was in kindergarten. That wasn't good. My mom was asleep and I knew I'd be in trouble if she knew I did that, so I forcibly pulled my tongue off of it. OW, OW, OW! And I couldn't even get sympathy because if I told I'd be in for it.

12. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

I just took about ten of the aluminum trays and sold them as scrap! I had no idea that anyone would have ever wanted them!!!
    clove

13. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

I've sold the aluminum ones on ebay!

14. paulaswolfpack

paulaswolfpack Well-Known Member

I found the 10 I have in a yard sale last year just cleaned them up and work great,paula

15. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly! I hated them!! I have seen them in several different magazines. I will try to find them.

16. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Well-Known Member

Just thinking of the sound they made when you pulled that handle back!! It makes my hair stand on end, makes my teeth hurt and sends a shiver down my spine.

The scrapyard is a good place for them! I normally hate plastic with a passion. But, ice cube trays are one use of plastic I actually cheer..

17. Zipporah

Zipporah Well-Known Member

I have several of them and love them. Some work better than others, but the cubes are bigger than most plastic trays and I like that.