alternator problem

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sue currin, Nov 14, 2005.

1. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

I have put brushes in ford alternators before, but I have a Honda CRX 1989 and was wondering if I could rebuild that alternator with a brush kit.

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.............Most alternators are rebuildable with the requisite parts but you could also have some defective diodes which rectify the Ac voltage into dc voltage . I'd price a rebuilt unit to "see" what the cost is . fordy... :goodjob:

3. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

thank you fordy. I would go to a junk yard. but thay don't exsiste here

4. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Pricey little bugger,110 dollars with a 55 dollar core charge at Autozone.Didnt see a rebuild kit.

BooBoo

5. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...........Parts for honda's are priced the same way they are for diesel trucks....they are OVER priced . I'd take that alternator and see IF you can find one that is the same configuration with the bolt holes in the same place . Then , since alternators function about like husbands (they go round , and round and get hot :buds: ) , some better than others :eek: I'll bet you can locate one that will work for alot less money . Did I make any sense ? fordy... :sleep:

6. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Unless you are very good at soldering, I would buy a rebuilt. Those Diodes can be tricky.

7. Highground

Highground Well-Known Member

Look in the paper for the same car for sale and take it for a test drive. :D

8. seedspreader

By the way, have you pulled it and had autozone run their free diagnostic on it? It will tell you what fails and passes, three part test, diodes, rectifier, and regulator.

9. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

When in doubt, shop on EBay, especially for Japanese auto parts. Lots of folks selling everything from small hard-to-find parts to complete engines and transmissions.

cheers,

10. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

Check in the local phonebook for Alternator/Starter rebuild places. They're about half the price of chain store rebuilds.

Take it apart and see if the brushes are worn out. If they're small beyond the ability of the spring to make them contact, and their leads are terminated under a bolted connection, get brushes at a local parts store and put 'em in. There's usually a hole to put something the size of a paper clip through to hold the brushes down while you reassemble. Try the simplest way first. If the brushes are good, either google a "how to" or take the alternator to the LOCAL rebuild shop and swap it out.

If you're proficient, isolate the diode circuit and try to pass a reverse current. If you can, one or more diodes are blown. Further isolate each diode for reverse current until you find the culprit. Time was when you could find any replacement in the Burstein Appleby catalog for about .72. (Does anyone else remember that catalog??) Maybe now it's Radio Shack or nothing. . . .

11. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Alternator is mailable. Go to www.car-parts.com Put in your car info and they will show junkyards across the nation with the part. Go down the list to the cheapest prices for that part. Then contact one of the junkyards with cheapest listed price to get a shipped price. When I was needing a carburetor for an old Volvo engine, did this and got one for around $50 mailed price from junkyard in Colorado. Clean and didnt even have to rebuild it. Rebuildable cores of that particular carb on ebay were going for more.

Probably not for you but myself when an alternator goes on any vehicle I happen to have no matter the brand, I go buy a $21 rebuilt GM alternator from 70's from AutoZone, then weld up an appropriate bracket to make it fit with pulleys lined up, etc. GM alternators from that time were 63A and very simple to wire. JCWhitney and others even sell versions modified to only need one wire hookup, but they are more pricey than $21. Its rediculous what some alternators go for when they dont do anymore than the old cheapo GM alternator. The GM alternators tend to last just as well also.

And if you really have an oddball, go to local alternator and starter repair shop. As somebody else mentioned they can usually repair one cheaper than you can buy a factory rebuild. Assuming they have or can get parts for it. Course quality of their repairs may vary. I've had starters rebuilt with good result at such places, but never took an alternator.

12. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with HermitJohn. My son buys Honda auto parts for his Civic via the internet a lot, both used parts from salvage yards all over the country, and new parts from a dealer out east, maybe in Rhode Island? Always get a firm shipping price before buying because they can vary all over the place. He has purchased a complete stock exhaust from half way across the country cheaper than ordering it from a local shop because shipping was so reasonable on it (and it was over 6 feet long!) and sometimes shipping from other places is way too high.

He got a defective (expensive even used) fuel injection part from one junk yard, and they did a UPS pickup on it so he didn't even have to pay shipping to return it. Of course not all the salvage yard dealers are that good, but they are out there.

If you need some specific names of places he has good luck with, let me know privately, and I'll ask him.

13. seedspreader

Really??? So do you also buy a new regulator to put on the sidewall since the newer alternators have built in regulators?

P.S., before doing this, you had better check output resistance etc. required for your computer. Computers cost a lot more than alternators. On a Honda, go save your peace of mind and just buy the rebuilt with the guarantee. In the long run you won't be sad.

14. BigBoy

BigBoy No attitude here...

The 70's (and early 80's) GM alternator that HermitJohn spoke of is an internally regulated alternator. I just replaced an old externally regulated alternator on my tractor with one of these from O'Reillys Auto Parts for $27. They can be installed on any kind of engine and work great. Some people like to wire them as a 1-wire but a 1-wire hookup means it will only charge at one rate, either over or under charging, and there will always be a small current draw which is ok unless the vehicle is not driven daily. It also will not start charging until you reach about 1500 rpm.
    For $3 more and a little extra wiring time you can wire it as a 3-wire hookup and eliminate all of these negatives. I made a webpage last week with a simple diagram on doing this.
    http://www.ratherbe.us/3Wire.htm