Alternatives to SSS

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by torade, Jul 13, 2004.

1. torade

torade Well-Known Member

Instead of shooting those evil dogs and cats invading your homestead with bullets try this.....
    Get a big supersoaker, one for everyone in family.
    Get a couple gallons of white vinegar.
    Fill supersoakers with vinegar, pump up and give test squirts.
    Next time you see dog/cat/human pump and squirt in the face (eyes and nose) and on the backside as they run away.
    The vinegar will sting them badly but no permanet damage. They will stink for days and will have to lick off the gross stuff.
    This will learn them reeaaallll good.
    The dogs I've done this to have never been back since,but if yours do then I'm sorry, you'll need real bullets.

2. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

Great idea. There's a nasty siamese cat I am thinking about...

3. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

Our neighbor down the hill had a big dog who would attack cars going past his house, biting the tires and bumpers. My little car had toothmarks in the rubber bumper. You bet, the supersoaker is GREAT fun! I filled mine with water and a little ammonia and blasted him everytime I drove by. It was great. It did not break him of attacking cars, but he did learn to avoid supersoaker range, and I sure got a kick out it.

4. torade

torade Well-Known Member

I hear duluted ammonia smells like pee pee to them. He's probably wondering how your ****ing on him from the car.

5. Brad

Brad Active Member

The problem as I see it is that to spray them with anything they must be allowed to come into an unsafe distance from the person and then the risk of making the dog angry. If these truly are attack dogs, far better to shoot 'em and bury 'em deep. The risk isn't worth it.

6. torade

torade Well-Known Member

Well usually, at least in my case, dogs are just there to attack your chickens and such but aren't dangerous toward humans.
    My big SS goes pretty far and I just shot them from my porch. They didn't even look to see where it was coming from they had a hard time seeing anyway.

7. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

My alternative to SSS was to actually talk to my neighbors. We realized trouble ensued when they were loose together. We actually came up with a time table that worked great.Those first dogs are gone and yet we still work together with the dogs. When my neighbor bikes his in the evening, mine are well out of range or in the house. When mine patrols at night, his are in their pen.

Yeah, we had some errors in judgement ( over $200 for a bunny surgery! caused by 2 neighbor dogs-and yes, the dog owners paid). But it takes kindness and actually giving the owners a chance to be the best they can be. One dog repeatedly denied ownership by the true owner got a neutering surgery on me. After that his dogs quit visiting. I asked him about the dog, he came and got it, then said he was fed up and done with it-so I figured it could at least quit fathering pups. I heard he sold it to hunt after the surgery.

We work together with neighborhood watch too. We kick some stuff when we need to.