alternatives to maple syrup

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Paul Wheaton, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

I'm trying to eat only organic these days and real maple syrup costs a small fortune.

I remember making syrup out of something called "mapeline" (sp?) - but what is that stuff? I tried to google, but I keep getting recipes for how to make syrup.

I wonder about alternatives to maple syrup that I might be able to make the same way: sugar, water and .... flavoring. Vanilla?

Any ideas?

2. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member Supporter

If you're going to organic for health reasons, you might want to skip the sugar altogether. Have you considered using honey instead? I realize you won't get the maple flavor from it, but it is healthier for you than sugar or fake maple syrup. Actually, no sweeteners are really healthy, but sometimes we have to make concessions :cool:

3. Ozarkquilter46

Ozarkquilter46 Well-Known Member

Any kind of fruit you like, just chop it up add a some water and cook it down till it resembles kind of chunky suryp and when it cools off a little add splenda. Yum good

4. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

That recipie sounds good except for the splenda. It is not as healthy as the advertisements claim that it is. You can find more details here: http://www.westonaprice.org/modernfood/sugarfree_blues.html . It the fruit syrup isn't sweet enough by itself, you could add honey.

5. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

I used to make it that way. Sugar and water boiled down, and then maple flavoring added. (Bought where you buy vanilla, etc.). Not the same, but better than nothing!!!

Supposedly you can make maple syrup from box elder trees, too. I guess they are called Manitoba Maples in canada. Not as high sugar content, so it takes more sap, but will still work. And heaven knows box elders are rampant around here!!!

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

We used a lot of cane syrup when I was young. You could prob make it with brown sugar (get real cane sugar). I don't think Mapeline flavor is organic. You can buy organic brown sugar. Honey might be cheaper and will be healthier.

7. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

You can make a basic syrup (1/4 c brown sugar, 1 3/4 c white sugar, 1 c water, boil 1 minute) and then add about 2 T real maple syrup to flavor it. Tastes pretty good. Honey is still sugar, not really any better for you than any other kind.

8. cchapman84

cchapman84 Well-Known Member

You can also make birch syrup if you have sweet birches in your area. I have a friend who went to Alaska and worked for a family who made birch syrup. I've never tried it myself. As far as I know you can't use white birches, I believe that they're toxic. You could probably find out more on google.

9. KindredCanuck

KindredCanuck In Remembrance

What do you consider expensive.. here its $5. a 19 oz. can .. I send it to folks all the time..

KC~

10. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

To REALLY know it is organic, you'd need to grow it yourself. Check out climatic requirements for sugar cane and for sweet sorghum against your local climate. However, I think your real chance is beets. Sugar beets, and also the much larger mangold or mangel-wurzel which is normally used for stock food.

11. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

I think I'd rather do without than try to process sugar beets, their yield is quite low. Mapeline by Crescent is mostly fenugreek seed extracted with alcohol or steam, I forget which. Not organic but better than store bought table syrup with all the (unnecessary) additives. I love real maple syrup, but being diabetic and on a tight budget don't indulge very often. Trader Joe's and Costco have the best prices. I prefer to have the real thing, just use it much less often.

12. EricG

EricG Well-Known Member

Blueberry syrup is good. use brownsugar and water, then add blueberries.

Eric

13. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Long time ago....I read a book about a husband and wife moving to homestead in the Ozarks and she made syrup by boiling potatoes, taking potatoes out and reducing water. Can't think of the name of the book...it was a sad story....hubby had a heart attack, their groceries were delivered by mail and she walked her goats but had no food for them in the winter.....

14. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Try xylitol for a sweetener. It is natural, comes from the birch tree. It has been proven to be good for the teeth, and prevent cavities (may even reverse really small ones). It is expensive however, it's slowly getting cheaper all the time. It doesn't make things thick like regular sugar however, but could be added to a fruit syrup for sure.

You use it in the same amounts as regular cane sugar, but it has 2/3 the calories, and does not make your blood sugar spike.

We get ours at www.xylitolforyour.com as they have good prices.

15. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Yea, but honey is a whole sugar, and time and time again we learn later how when a whole, natural food has one effect, it has another to compliment or counteract that effect. For example, eggs. There are two examples with eggs.

1. Eggs are bad for you because the yolks contain cholesterol. .. But eggs contain lecithin, which is good for your heart, and "counteracts" the cholesterol.

2 Raw eggs should not be fed to your dog because the avidin in the egg whites binds up with biotin and will cause a biotin deficiency in your dog. However, the egg yolk contains large amounts of biotin, thus the net effect is that the egg does not rob biotin from the body at all.

Eggs are in fact a very healthy food, with a nearly perfect protein.

16. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

You can also try Erythritol. Do a google and you will find much info on this polyol. It seems to be lower in calories than others such as xylitol.

17. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

Stevia is another good sweetner. I used to grow it.

I have taken a can of frozen apple juice concentrate, added cinnamon and butterbuds, heated it and used it for syrup. Very good. The concentrate can also sweeten other fruits.

18. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Cinnamon Syrup:
    1 cup water
    1 cup packed dark brown sugar
    2 tablespoons whipping cream
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

To make the syrup: Combine 1 cup of water and brown sugar in a heavy medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Boil until the syrup reduces to 1 cup, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cream and cinnamon. Keep the syrup warm. (The syrup can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, then cover and refrigerate. Rewarm before serving.)

I like the idea of adding a bit of real maple syrup to get the flavor! I think I will try that instead of the cinnamon next time I make syrup.

19. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Plain old honey-nice and sweet. Different varieties available though-the flavor depends on the flowers the bees used. So keep in mind that you may need to try several types to find one you really like best-though, I love them all!