Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DD is a lifeguard and her hair was like wire - I mean absolutely horrible! She wet it before getting in the pool, washed it right after getting out,etc with no improvement. One of the other guards suggested Redken products, which have worked great, but are soooo expensive. $13.50 for a small bottle of shampoo!! Yikes! Does anyone know of another product where she might get the same results without as much cost? She uses the All Soft shampoo, the UV resistant conditioner and the leave-in conditioner in the blue bottle. I have tried the wholesalers here and they do not sell Redken products. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
Have you tried ebay or amazon? I have good luck ordering things like this - I got hooked on the "Bare escentuals/bare minerals" makeups, and always order off ebay. It's so much cheaper, there's no way I could afford it locally!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
a while back Sharon in NY had a post, either here or on her blog, about "unshampoo".
(http://casaubonsbook.blogspot.com/2007/05/52-weeks-down-week-3-make-it-yourself.html)

Basically, use baking soda to scrub the scalp, and vinegar to rinse. This leaves more of the natural oils on your hair (unlike regular shampoo) so your scalp doesn't go into oil-creation overdrive and stays healthier.

i've been doing it for a month or so, and am pleased with the results. Before, I washed my hair every day, because if I didn't, my scalp would get very itchy the second day in the evening, and my hair would be very greasy. Now, my scalp doesn't get itchy even after 2-3 days, and my hair doesn't get greasy.

Not sure how this will work with all the sun and chlorine that your daughter gets tho.

--sgl

·
AppleJackCreek
3,717 Posts
I use solid shampoo from Lush (www.lush.com). I have long, wild, curly hair and it's really tough to get anything that works well (without needing tons and tons of product, that is, and expensive stuff at that!).

I've used a couple of different solid shampoos from Lush (they are like a bar of soap) and wow, I love them. They seem very expensive, but they last quite a while (mind you I don't wash my hair every day). You need to set them on a soap dish after (and not leave them where the shower will wash them all away on you), but they are easy to use, very portable, and no packaging!

Might be something to consider, anyway.

·
Banned
4,808 Posts
perhaps cutting her hair short butch style and workingon what grows in new will work better than trying to fix damaged hair.

Ive read where bag-balm works miracles for bad hair.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I'll probably sound like a commercial here, but DD and I both use Suave. We both have long, staight, thick hair and have been in the pool alot lately. I was using the more expensive Pantene until a friend said Suave worked just as well for only $5-6 for a salon-size bottle. I love the Humectant conditioner....it smells SOOOO good!

I also had a friend in high school who used Mane and Tail!

Rachael

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

Try Suave products...they're cheap and they work!

RF

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
I use my home made shampoo bar (which has a lot more oils in it than regular soap) and we use aloe vera in the hair about 2x a week as that helps get the pool chemicals out. Vinegar rinses also help restore the hair. I like to put a cheap leave on conditioner after washes as that seems to help keep the chlorine from damaging it so quick. I don't have problems with my hair doing this, but it's hard to keep my 9yo daughter who will spend hours a day in the pool to keep washing it as she thinks it's clean from the pool and it will get brittle if we don't use the soap after being in the pool.

Dawn

Dawn

·
Registered
289 Posts
halfpint said:
I use my home made shampoo bar (which has a lot more oils in it than regular soap) and we use aloe vera in the hair about 2x a week as that helps get the pool chemicals out. Vinegar rinses also help restore the hair. I like to put a cheap leave on conditioner after washes as that seems to help keep the chlorine from damaging it so quick. I don't have problems with my hair doing this, but it's hard to keep my 9yo daughter who will spend hours a day in the pool to keep washing it as she thinks it's clean from the pool and it will get brittle if we don't use the soap after being in the pool.

Dawn

Dawn
Could you give us the recipe for your home made shampoo bar? I find I am searching for alternatives as within the past few months I have identified Sodium Laurel Sulfate as the ingredient that I am allergic to. Most shampoos have this as their main ingredient. :shrug:

I have found a couple, but sure would like more shampoos to choose from. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts