Alternatives to dexamethasone

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by willow_girl, Mar 23, 2005.

1. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Had a cow at work last week with a real bad swelling around the hock on one of her back legs. She already had a deformed front leg; must have broken it as a heifer. She could get around OK on 3 good legs, but not two! She was in a bad shape!

No clear reason why the hock was swollen ... no broken skin or visible sores, just lots of swelling. Maybe she fell? She was a bit tipsy on her feet due to bad front leg ... I saw her fall on ice and split herself a couple months ago, thought she was in trouble then, but nope, she pulled herself back up!

Anyway, I mentioned to the boss about maybe giving her some dex, but he said it would cause her to abort her calf, and she's carrying a high-dollar ET baby. So, no dex for her.

Now, it's a week later, she's down, my guess it that we'll lose her and her calf both. :waa:

She's a tough old bird, I was really hoping she'd pull out of it. Boss had the vet out, who said if she was going to get better, she'd have started by now. So it's not looking too good! :(

My question is: are there alternatives to dex that do not have an abortifacient effect and/or will not harm the calf?

I figure it might help to know next time, or in case I run into a situation like this with one of my girls (god forbid!!!).

2. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

Poor old girl. Banamine will help with the pain and swelling, however it will ruin kidneys if used long term. If you want to take swelling out you can try DMSO mix and apply it with a wrapp. Bute may help too. MOst of these are probably not recomended for a milk cow but it does get used a lot. I would check on the bute for abortion. Could try old aspirin? If she is down hopefully you have her in a deep pack or sand and are rolling her to keep circulation going. Have you put split hobbles on her to help with traction?

3. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Thanks Evermoor! I wonder if the vet gave her anything when he looked at her. I will have to ask my boss. I've used Banamine before on a horse with a leg injury. Worked good!

I can't do anything else for her; I only work there 2 days a week now and I won't be going back 'til next Monday. She will probably be dead by then. :(

She had dragged herself over to the feed bunk before I left yesterday, and was laying in the muck ... she was cold. I had bought a bale of straw to take home for my own critters, so I opened it and put some down around and beside her, hoping she could scoot over onto it. I left her with a full water tub. That's all I could do for her. She was really dehydrated on Monday, but I think I got her back up to speed by Wednesday ... her eyes weren't sunken in anymore.

I wish I could have gotten her into some really deep bedding though. :(

I hate hate hate losing a cow ...