Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Snowed in, out of litter. Read somewhere you can shred newspaper in long strips and your cat will use it like litter. Of course the plan, when I read it, was to use a combination and gradually wean your cat off litter, but huh. With the snow and temps: no chance. It's newspaper or nothing, ya furry poop-machine!

Has anyone had any experience with newspaper? I'm really hoping it works, as I have an ongoing supply of newspaper, but not of litter (except at the store, of course)

She's a smart cat; I'm hoping she gets it. :shrug: time will tell!

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Some cats aren't picky, so it's worth a try.

Do you have chickens? Chicken feed works well. Some cats will also use shavings, so if you have other livestock and are using shavings you could try that.

Kids have a sandbox? I know it snow covered and frozen, but maybe you could chip up enough?

I'd put out boxes with as many different types of "litter" as possible so the cat(s) can choose what they like best.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I would tend to use newspaper as a last resort as the cat may think it is ok to use even when the litter supply is replenished. If there is nothing else then shred the paper so she doesn't get the idea that newspapers on the floor are the new litter box.

Willow101

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Pine shavings, pine pellets, rabbit feed, sand- all work better than newspaper. The smell in your house will be horrible with newspaper. Need something that will absorb well and encase the poop completely (newspaper will have open spaces).

·
Premium Member
2,315 Posts
Isn't this weather great? I live in another part of the coutry from you but the weather is really nasty. Knew it was coming, too and I still didn't get cat litter yesterday! :grit: I am not out but if this stupid snow stalls, I will be. That is something I am really anal (pun intended) about having in stock, too, go figure. I know I have some potting soil out in the garage, that might help in the newspaper if the stuff is really shredded. Do you have a shredder?
LOL at calling your kitty a poop machine, I have seven in the house and one puppy, I think they all eat way too much. Best of luck on your litter situation and the weather.:benice:

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
I've only seen newspaper strips used as a top dressing to ordinary litter. My favorite litter is the loosened soil way out back.

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
Mine gets mad when I fool around with litters and poops in the tub. I usually find it at 4:30 AM as I am staggering in blind half sleep to take a shower.

I would second the chicken pellets, sand, etc. Whatever can be used to cover up the mess by the cat when she is done.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She peed in it. She howled after, but not real loud, like she does when it hasn't been cleaned fer awhile. Just a minor yowl. And shook her paws once each. We'll see about the more solid stuff.

It's so cold in the porch I couldn't even smell the pee. Hm. Of course the cold out there killed the aloes, too. Maybe the lack of discernible odor will be a good thing.

Hang in there, cat, it ain't lovely for us, either!

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
You can use oatmeal or whole wheat, too if you have any.

I used to work for a vet who only used newspaper in the litter boxes. I've been thinking about trying it here with our cats but haven't gotten around to it yet.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL, Elizabeth. Oatmeal may even be cheaper than regular litter, I'll have to check on that. !

I love you guys, what a lot of good solutions!

Probably tomorrow I can get some more of that nasty clay litter. BUT I'm thinking of appropriating the shredded stuff from work (shredded with a real shredder, not my hands)

Regards to all! And many thanks!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Mine like to pee in the woodbox beside the stove. Not sure if thats a help, but wood wast, shaving are a good alternative. I don't like picking wood up to put in the srove and smelling cat pee on my hands thou.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Probably not as useful as some other suggestions, but I had a cat with a nasty open abscess at the base of his tail. To keep clay litter out of it, the vet suggested I use pinto beans as litter.

The cat was less than thrilled, but he did use them. It stunk, but worked.

I keep meaning to get around to toilet training the cats, you know, to use the actual toilet. It'd sure save on litter costs.

-- Leva

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You are so helpful. Thank you so much. Silver won't be using the box any more. There's no good way to say it but since I started the question her health took a downward turn and I euthanized her the 24th.

It got so that it wasn't a life. She was always cheerful; how do they do that?

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I'm so sorry. I too am amazed sometimes at how cheerful pets can be at the end, even when they are suffering.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts