Alternative sources of income

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Tracy Rimmer, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

DH and I have been talking a lot about alternative income -- as in alternative to the 9-5 that he currently works as a consultant. :)

Now, granted, he could go freelance, and consult independently -- but the discussion spawned an interesting discussion on diversification of personal income. Did you know that nearly half a million Americans make their entire living from selling product via Ebay? If those people were considered "employees", Ebay would be the largest American employer after WalMart.

If you found yourself in a position where you needed to diversify your income sources (or if you're already doing it) -- and chose to work independently of a full-time employer, what would be three to five things that you would "do"?

Personally, I already write magazine articles, and do some freelance editing work for various periodicals. I suppose I could sell my quilts and lace online -- I would imagine that there is a market for that, and I'd really like to write a book on some of the homemaking skills that are being lost as the older generations pass.

How about you? What would you do?

2. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

The book idea has been in my mind for years, writing about things that most people have forgotten how to do. I have also wanted to compile cooking and canning recipes. I guess I just never believed that anyone would actually buy it. I train horses but in the last 5-6 years I have been very burnt out on that - DH is absolutely no support in that area and that made the burn out just worse. I have also thought about going back to doing the french hand sewing I use to do and selling them.... again, I guess I just never thought anyone would really buy them. Lately I have been looking on Ebay.... I see alsorts of things on there. Do people actually buy it all???? I have always wanted to be able to stay right here at home and be able to sell what I do. I guess I just do not know how to go about selling it online and I should have more faith in myself. It would make me feel so good to contribute to the $$ income of the family without leaving the home.

3. gottahaveagoat

gottahaveagoat Well-Known Member

I work out of my home...Answering calls (take orders for products) I love it, I make my own hrs. With 2 kid in school and all their activities this works out great for me. The only money I had to invest was a phone headset $20.00and a 2nd phone line which is $10 a month and $19.00 installation fee all of which is a tax write off.

4. lsulenes

lsulenes Well-Known Member

Is this something that is local to your area or something that is available if you know where to look?

I am a elem/special ed teacher and the last year that I taught under a contract was 02-03 school year. We homeschooled for a year due to behavior and medication issues and then put the kids back in public school while I began subbing. During 03-04, while homeschooling, we needed supplementary income and I learned that I could use some of my own garden and livestock to do that on Ebay. We used it as part of the kids' curriculum and learning. We began selling flower bulbs and hatching eggs. The kids learned all sorts of things through assisting and we were able to survive the year.

Because I found some things that are renewable for me without capital outlay, I am able to make money without spending money. I don't always list because I get pretty busy, but it is a good way to pay for the kids' activities now when money is tight. While working on my Master's degree, I took a sabbatical and am on hold due to our bad winter weather here, but I should be back up and running when the weather clears. That is one of the draw backs of my type of auctions, but when I eventually get a greenhouse, I will be able to fix that.

I also grow and sell produce, baked goods, and jellies from April - Oct at the local farmers' markets. This supplements our income so that I haven't had to go back to teaching. I may decide this next year to look for a job since I have finished my Masters' degree, but I still like to do all this because it is a fun sideline and I meet new people all the time.

~Lisa~

5. gottahaveagoat

I PM some info to you Isulenes. Working at home.

6. gottahaveagoat

THE MOMwould you PM me again you sent your message to someone else and I could not find you...I would love to give you your info.

7. Janis Sauncy

Janis Sauncy Well-Known Member

I, too, would love some information. Do you make enough to support a family? I'm a single parent working outside of the home and have to have enough income to support myself, three kids, the house payment and the animals.

8. momlaffsalot

momlaffsalot Well-Known Member

Yes! Please more info on how to make money at home using the phone!

9. gottahaveagoat

If anyone wants info please you must PM me. I will not post it here...Sorry

10. Doggypal

Doggypal Member

I was watching Good Morning America one morning and their Women's Business Advisor (Tori Johnson) had a piece on working from home. If you go too ABCNew.com then click on GMA you'll find links on the subject with various companies who hire operators to work from home. They were actually tested by people who reported back to Tori so they are legitimate businesses. Some compaanies hird you directly ($9hr) others you needed to be an independant contractor (no big deal).This is a very interesting topic and I hope more people post their experiences.

11. gottahaveagoat

I went to the GMA site and these are not where I work but they might be worth looking into.
    There are many Legit places, but just watch out for the ones that want money...Sometimes you do have to pay for your background check but not over $20-$30. The place I work for you do not have to pay for them. I did not pay the co. for anything. Basically they train you, you take a test and they might offer you a job. All for free. I'm an independant contractor with no benefits but I love the flexible schedule. It's a good way to earn extra money, probably won't get rich doing it but the extra $$ is nice.

12. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I do the same thing. Do you work for LO or W? Maybe one of the other companies? I work for both LO and W.

13. gottahaveagoat

I work for W I've applied to LO and waiting. Do you like LO better?