alternative method for making lye

Discussion in 'Soapmaking' started by barefootboy, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Surprise

Surprise New Member

I used to run across this problem when using it to wash laundry in the washer in place of washing powder; turns out the washing soda I had was only 30% sodium carbonate with no mention of the main chemical(s), "trade secret" I guess. It consisted of almost translucent crystals and refused to dissolve. Is that what you have?
    I ditched that one and purchased another that says something to the effect of "100% washing soda". This one is a white powder, dissolves without issues and does give off some heat as described by Barefootboy. So far so good.

Getting my hands on hydrated lime was a lot more difficult. Salespeople looked at me like I was crazy; it was too cheap to bother ordering one of these. In desperation, I tried to make the lye using lime putty instead of hydrated lime... that gave me a solution of about 5% of lye (enough to remove paint off of a wooden door, but not enough to make soap with). I am ready to revisit that option, however, since now that I was able to finally get my hands on genuine, hydrated lime from a mined source (turns out they can manufacture this stuff using drain-cleaner quality lye, the very thing I am trying to avoid), my "soap" making produced something akin to soap flakes in immersed in sunflower oil (see picture).

Sunflower oil may not be the most suitable oil for a soap experiment, but that's all I had... Any ideas?

soap_flakes.jpg

2. Surprise

Surprise New Member

It worked!!! It finally worked! A stick blender saved the day. It WORKED!

The soap is... yummy... I've never seen anything like it. Everyone who tried it loves it! It has such an incredible quality to it... Simply amazing. Thanks to all of you...!