alternative housing on stilts?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Sparticle, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm so terrified of loosing everything in a flood, I've been thinking about what it would take to build a house myself on stilts. I've read about different types of alternative building methods but would like to modify it for stilts. Anyone has any experience with this?

2. Daryll in NW FLA

Daryll in NW FLA Well-Known Member

Hi quntmphscs, We built our 24 x28 cabin on 6 foot stilts- 12 foot telephone poles buried 6 foot deep-worked out great -plenty 0f storage and no worry about flooding. We used standard stick building methods and topped it off with a tin roof--less than five grand in materials and that includes a 24 foot covered back porch. of course it has taken us 6 years and still not totally finished inside (still have to finish painting the dry wall). Take care, Daryll in NW FLA

3. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

Is there a ratio of poles to square footage? Are the special type of beams that need to go under the house since there's no real foundation? Did you pour concrete under the house? Did you insulate under the house with the stuff you'd use in an attick?

4. bigcozy

bigcozy Member

Are you not afraid of twisters? I read that in a hot climate air circulating under the house really helps cool it as well as preventing mold and rot.

I like and appreciate your quote from O Sensei.

5. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

Contact "Jim Walter Homes" get their brochure (It also shows plans) on stilt bilt homes. There are 3 nearby and the only bad thing can be heat/cool unless you really insulate well the underside.

Kenneth in NC

6. texican

texican Well-Known Member

...several of the local river camps are built on stilts, and the river flows underneath them when it floods...

they're built on pipes, set in concrete...the main frame underneath is made of pipe, with 'hangers' welded on, where normal floor joists rest on them...

I've read your previous 'swamped' posts on your flooding...and I'd sure try and avoid lowlying floodland in the first place...surely there's a hilly spot in the area you're looking at...

good luck

7. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

If your in an area prone to floods stilts may not help, They just offer targets for all the junk comming down stream to hit.