Alternative fuel users...a few ???'s

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by oz in SC, Jul 24, 2006.

1. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

I have gathered together the following to attempt to make a Veggie oil/diesel blend to run in my truck.

I have a transfer pump with filter(10 micron) that also filters out water.

I have approximately 100 gallons of veggie oil and will be blending it with an equal amount of diesel.

I prefiltered the veggie oil removing any 'chunks' and the like through a regular automotive paint strainer,this catches any visible 'gunk but not much else.

I also use only oil I have personally emptied from the fryer-I know what was fried in it and know that there shouldn't be any water in there...

I am thinking of finding a 'regular' spin on oil or fuel filter with a low micron rating(10 micron) to filter the VO/Diesel blend through PRIOR to pumping it into the truck(which will go through another 10 micron water black fuel filter as well...)

I live in an area of high heat so do not think I will need to heat the blend at least until winter comes.

What do y'all think???

I really do not want to make bio-diesel.

The truck is a 1998.5 Dodge Cummins diesel.
    NOT the best truck to do this on due to the injection pump being iffy to begin with but it is all I have to work with.... :shrug:

2. diehard47

diehard47 Well-Known Member

When I owned a cafe, I took one gal of our used veg oil and mixed with two gal diesiel and put in my 4cyl Mitsubishi tractor. And it ran normal,same power and etc. When I do it again I will filter just as you suggest.

3. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

DH's buddy got one of those conversion kits, and now runs his 82 Benz on straight veggie. He has to start the car with diesel, but switches over as soon as things are heated up.

His experiment has us hunting up a diesel engine to drop into one of the Jeeps --after we reinforce the frame to hold the weight!

Pony!

4. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

I think its afantastic idea OZ, and I think you are going about it the right way too. I have a 97 ford diesel. I was going to try it, but th einjectors in this engine are $700 each so I think Im going to find an old rabbit diesel engine, or nissan diesel engine from a scout before I try using veggie oil. Let us know how it goes OZ

5. Boss Cooker

Boss Cooker Well-Known Member

:nono: Be real careful with your Dodge. The injector pump will leave you walking. I had to eat one at 300 miles over 100,000. Dodge didn't offer any help. It cost me $2400.00. If it is a twelve valve, mfg. in March of 98 you can do it. If it is the 24 valve forget it. Or have deep pockets. :hobbyhors
    Just my 2 cents. :)

6. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Yes the injector pump is quite delicate in the 24V Cummins.

But it is delicate when using just regular diesel too...

The problem is the IP is lubricated by the fuel and the lift pump isn't a very good unit so IF there isn't enough fuel pressure the IP will fail.