Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone experimented with alternative feeds ? i know last year with the hay shortage , there was a lot of corn and bean stubble hay fed in this area . i was wondering about additives to feed such as ground nuts . like almonds or walnuts . can meat goats benifit from this or would it be a waste of time ?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, i work in a candy factory . we grind nuts . if any sift through they are thrown away . the company pays for someone to take these away . i have known of some people taking them home and feeding squirrels . there are other things that we use that i wondered if they could be used as feed additives whey powder , powdered milk , toffee , caramel dust . with way feed prices are if i could use these and the animals would benifit from them it would be a win/ win

·
Fergusons Family Farm
1,326 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
I don't know about feeding that to goats, but the whey and powdered milk and nuts would be great for pigs. You could have some cheap, tasty pork.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
I would think that you could sub some of that for their grain ration. I don't think it would replace forage.
Probably a high protein with the nuts.

We sometimes feed powdered milk type stuff from where I work in with milk replacer for calves and a couple of guys sprinkle it on the hay they feed their beefers.

·
Premium Member
16,016 Posts
The nuts would be an excellent energy source and I think high protein. I'm not sure how much you can safely feed though.

I'm surprised they aren't selling it to pork producers instead of treating it like waste.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
all waste does get made into hog feed somewhere in iowa i think . but they still have to pay someone to haul it off . i think i'll try mixing some almonds at around 5% abd see how they do

1 - 8 of 8 Posts