Alternative energy idea. Maybe.

Discussion in 'Alternative Energy' started by tsdave, Aug 7, 2006.

1. tsdave

tsdave Grand Marshal

I was welding the other day, and sprayed HD30 near my weld, and it instantly turned to smoke, smelled just like kerosene. So that got me to thinking, i read alot about wood gassifiers, but they seem to be alot of work, and makes pretty dirty gas needing filters and all.

But what if you built an oil gassifier ? You could convert that spare veggie oil to run your gasoline engines too, instead of just diesel, right ?

You could probably burn used motor oils too, but im not sure how ecological that would be, but i know they used to burn it for heat in special heaters.

Anyone know of this, or reasons why it wouldnt work ?

Just need an oil drip on a hot really hot plate. Shouldnt even need a carb. Just a couple valves to adjust the mix. But i guess you would want to use the carb for the governer , eh , details ....

I dont know if this would work, but it seems like it should , right ?

2. Micahn

Micahn Well-Known Member

Search around online and you can find where people have run cars with them. It was much more popular back during WW1 and WW2 as a lot of people even ran tractors and such with them back then. You can read all about them online if you look around for them.
    Here is one little bit about it, Scroll down a ways and you will find where a guy is riding a tractor running on wood gas.
    http://journeytoforever.org/at_woodfire.html#woodgas

3. tsdave

tsdave Grand Marshal

Yeah, i have read about and made a rudementy wood gassifier (only burned the gas not in an engine). I also ran a small mower on methane from a 55 gallon barrel, way back, but 55 gallons will only run it a minute without some sort of compression.

But i figure a oil gassifier could be made very small, say the size of a gallon jug, instead of the barrels required for wood. Plus you 'could' mount it under the hood, easing use. If you had a good alternator you could probably use 12v to power the 'heat' and use a thermostat.

I have a van, and i imagine 2 55 gallon barrels of oil in the back, could drive a long, long , long way ;-) collecting more oil, forever ;-)

I may make this my pet project.

4. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

would you rely on the 12 volt heat element for all of the conversion or just to start the process? an engine makes plenty of heat once it is going. perhaps a 12 volt gasifier run from a thermostat with the goal of heating the gasifier from the engine heat would work well.