Alternative elec. fence insulator question.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by frank4570, May 4, 2004.

1. frank4570

frank4570 Active Member

I am trying to find a cheaper way to run insulated electric fence under my gates.The insulated stuff at the coop is like a dollar per foot.I have pvc pipe and extra garden hose around the house. Has anybody tried either of these to insulate their electric fence? I know the manufacturers say you can only use their stuff, but I know they want to sell their products.
    Thanks.

2. shakeytails in KY

shakeytails in KY Well-Known Member

I use the proper insulated wire (NOT house wire) AND put it in PVC pipe as an added precaution. The wire isn't cheap, but it shouldn't be a buck a foot, either. Tractor Supply Co (TSC) has it for $10 for a 50' roll. IMO, You're asking for shorts if you try to get by on the cheap.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Plastic garden hose works if it isn't cracked. Are you putting it below ground? Pvc might be better there. Another possibility is using insulated electrical wire. For an electric fence most any 110 volt type wire would work. If it eventually shorts out it wouldn't be any big deal.

4. frank4570

frank4570 Active Member

I will be going under ground or on the ground. I have tried the romex insulated house wire and I heard some strange popping noises, although I couldn't see a spark jumping to the ground.

5. shakeytails in KY

shakeytails in KY Well-Known Member

If you're thinking about using garden hose for insulators, like around corners, yeah- it'll work- for a while. I've done it, but eventually(within a year) I've had to replace it because the fence burned thru the hose or shorted out. Unless you just plain like to fix fence, you're best off using the proper materials and doing the job correctly the first time.

6. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Go over the gate. Cut a small slit in the end of a pvc pipe, run the wire in it, then stand the pipe up and walk/drive underneath it. Use springs on the ends of the gate wire to avoid pulling your whole fence.

Garden hose does work, but as stated, it will wear out, especially if you are driving on it. If you are like me though...holey hoses are in abundance and I haven't figured out a better thing to do with them.

Jena

7. If there is an electric sign manufacturer near you, ask what they would charge you for "GTO" wire. It is heavily insulated and rated for 7500 volts and used for wiring high voltage neon signs. We buy it in 500' rolls for 13 cents per foot.
    Bret

8. Jim S.

Jim S. Well-Known Member

I have run the common AWG12 Romex wire in regular white 3/4" PVC pipe under 3 gates. I make a U with the pipe by using two 90 degree els, then I use two more els on each up end of the U to turn the ends down so rainwater does not get inside the pipe.

These have been installed for 13 years. They still work perfectly.

Be sure to leave more Romex than you need at each end. If you want some added protection, use Type UF in AWG12 in the PVC pipes. That is underground feed direct bury wire, higher than the Romex but still a LOT cheaper than the underground electric fencing wire.

9. Electric fencing puts out a _very_ high voltage, so regular wiring for 110-220v just doesn't cut it. You can put a bunch of stuff together but by the time you dig it in, you might as well have bought the right stuff & have a good working thing. Rebuilding something 2wice is the most costly.....

--->Paul

10. frank4570

frank4570 Active Member

I am going to go with the manufactured stuff afterall. I don't know if the math was off or there was a memory problem, but the current price at the coop is just under 25 cents per foot.I can live with the price especially considering the amount of time it will save me.
    Thanks for the input.

11. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

used the grey plastic conduit pipe and where it pops out of the ground, make a hook at that end (like a cane handle... a water trap ect..) so rain cant fill it up, and it will work fine. I have had fence wire in conduit like that for years with no water in the line or shorts.

you can also pack the open end with that grey clay goop they seal electric boxes and lines with.

I have one gate I run the wire OVER the gate acroaa two poles about 8 feet in the air. I think this is better than burring it really.