also need help

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by busy homestead, Jun 16, 2005.

1. busy homestead

busy homestead Well-Known Member

I read the threat where some were suggesting that it was maybe flea beetles.
    Could this be the case for my tomatoes? They are having small holes and
    now looking kind of sick, they were so nice before :waa:

I remember my Grandmother sprinkling some powder years ago because hers
    had a "blight". I am wondering if this is the same thing.

Anyone have any idea's???

Thanks-
    Christina
    athome in SD

2. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Sounds like flea beetles to me. They love tomatoes.

The best remedy I've found for flea beetles is a two part system. First, I make traps out of 4x6' rectangles of bright yellow cardboard (Cheerios box works well), staple a sandwich baggie on it (to protect from rain), and slather it with anything sticky--I use Tanglefoot, but Vaseline or Crisco works well, too. Attach them to sticks and place them about every 3' in the row, about 6" off the ground. The flea beetles love the yellow color (as do aphids--this works great for them, too), and they'll jump right off the plant and onto the trap, get stuck, and die.

In addition, I use a mixture of about a quart of water, a tablespoon of liquid soap, a bunch of cayenne pepper and about 2 tablespoons of minced garlic. Heat it up on the stove or in the micro, strain into a spray bottle and spray the plants, especially underneath.

3. busy homestead

busy homestead Well-Known Member

Thank you!
    I will try this tomm.
    Christina