Alright, How do you eat your beefsteak?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Shagbarkmtcatle, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Shagbarkmtcatle

Shagbarkmtcatle Hillybilly cattle slaves

Now I know all y'all eat that. I like mine rare to medium rare with lots of salt. It took 15 years of marriage to convince my dh that he was ruining good steak when he cooked it to well done. " I don't like mine to say "MOO" when I poke my fork into like yours does," he told me. "Just try it once." I asked him. Now he's hooked but he still likes it a little less red than I do.
    So how do you eat yours? Dead I hope. LOL

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I like mine with a fork! :p

3. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Medium rare. I like it pink and juicy. :)
    I use marinades once in a blue moon, but in my opinion steak rubbed with oil, seasoned with salt and pepper is my favorite. I like to taste the meat....not the marinade.

4. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

Slice off a piece as the cow runs by and I am good. Only kidding. Rare with salt and pepper.

5. Pink but no blood oozing, clear only. Also like it better if it is grilled on either wood coal or charcoal. No gas grilling.

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Dead. Salt and pepper. Prefer raw, but some folks can't stand to see it, so if I'm eating with a crowd you can sear it just a little.

7. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

If cooked on the grill I like it rare with salt and fresh ground pepper.
    Chicken fried.
    Pan fried.
    Smothered.

8. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Mmmmm!!!

Just rip off the horns and trot it across the grill!

Well, okay, maybe not THAT rare. Heat it a bit with a Bic lighter, I s'pose, maybe a little less purple than raw. (My DH says, "You just take the 'oo' off of 'Moo'!")

But my mother used to RUIN perfectly good beef by cooking it to the point where you could not tell the difference between what was on your plate and what was holding together the bottom of your shoe. And if she did burgers on the grill, why, she could have saved the meat money and put the briquets on the buns: no difference. She was the sort who'd look at a piece of rare meat and declare (loudly), "My God, with a band-aid, it could still live!" Strange woman...

I'll never forget the first time I had beef cooked properly. It was like the heavens opened and the angels sang... :)

9. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Medium Rare! Grew up with everything cooked well done but once in college I discovered flavor!

I use to work at a restaurant that cooked steaks. One of the regular customers would order his steak "grey"--just thrown on the broiler until the outside turned grey (not red), basically warmed up meat.

I've also read the best way to eat duck is medium rare.

10. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Pony, my mom always thought if you cooked it long enough it would finally get tender. LOL. That's one of the reasons I started cooking when I was eight. Figured she was going to starve or poison me sooner or later.

11. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

:rolleyes: Your not going to believe this!! I can't stand the taste of Beef. :confused: :haha: Truth is not enough taste.

big rockpile

12. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I like mine in between medium and medium well. More towards medium depending on the cut. Maybe a little salt too depending on the quality of the beef.

I usually give up and order medium well in a restaurant. Cooking a steak properly is evidently a lost art. I did it for a living for a time and I got really picky about how steaks were done and it is probably one reason why I don't order steak at restaurants very often. The other being that working in a restaurant kitchen made me hesitant to eat in restaurants period. If you do, NEVER send food back if you intend to consume it. Oh the stories I could tell you of the seamy underbelly of the food service industry.....

One problem is that people who order steak don't have a clue as to what the heck they are ordering. They order it rare and send it back because it is..well...rare. Then they complain when they order it well done and it would be..you guessed it...well done. I couldn't count the number of people who sent back rare steaks because they were red inside and well done steaks because they had no pink in the middle. some people order medium rare because they think it "sounds good". Then they send it back because it is pink inside.

Now I'm hungry.

13. poppy

poppy Guest

Got this off of food network. Makes a great ribeye. Take a 1/2 inch ribeye and let it sit out till room temperature ( very important ). Heat a cast iron skillet in the oven to 500 degrees. Take out of oven and put on burner on high heat. Rub ribeye both sides with canola or veg oil, salt, and pepper. Put ribeye in hot skillet for 30 seconds. Turn over using tongs or spatula ( do not use fork or juices will run out ). Sear other side for 30 seconds, then put skillet back in 500 degree oven for 2 minutes, turn steak over and cook another 2 minutes. Remove from pan, cover with foil and let it rest for 10 minutes before eating. This is for med rare. Add a minute to oven cooking time on each side for medium.

14. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

gotta agree thatvall is needed is to knock off the horns and hooves and wipe its butt and run it across the charcoal to impart a little smoke flavoring..... salt it ... a little cayenne..... ok a little more than that.... and it cant be beat if it still has a little quiver to it.

Ok once in awhile both my wife and i put a dash of horse radish on it for a change of pace.

William

15. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

One of my cattlemen friends was behind me in line at a cattlemen's conference when I ordered my steak (you want good steak, go to a beef producers conference!) When I asked for my steak "moo" he laughed, and told me that that wasn't moo... it was, and I quote:

"Knocked the horns off it, wiped it's *ss with a warm rag and pointed at the stove as we chased it through the kitchen"

I laughed for a week.

Tracy

16. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

For a really good cut, (prime grade, top of the cow), I like to marinate it in a little soy sauce and worchester and eat it raw. For the rest I like rare (very rare) , including burgers.

17. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Rare to very Rare. :D

18. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Medium rare.Just got a George Foreman grill,sirloin for 8 minutes comes out med rare and very juicy,that grill is GREAT!
    BooBoo

19. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Not a big beefeater here, but prefer any beef steak to be medium well done.
    The spouse had an amemia problem and always wanted rare, almost raw beef.
    I never enjoyed the thing mooing while eating. :no:

20. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

I like mine medium.

When DH is cooking on the grill, that means charred on one side and raw on the other.

So ... that's medium, on average :haha: