Alpines

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Xandras_Zoo, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

What does everyone think about Alpines? Good mothers? Easy kidders? Do they have shaggy hair? I LOVE goats with shaggy hair, but haven't be able to find any :'( Well, I've found Angoras and Cashmeres, but they're too expensive. Plus, they aren't dairy breeds. Also, does anyone know anything about goat packing and driving? I was thinking that may be a potential market for wethers.

2. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I've got two Alpine doelings, not big enough to breed yet. Sweet tempered girls, heavy undercoat, although I wouldn't call them shaggy. They are much more comfortable outside in the cold than are my Nubians.

I know a couple people on here breed them, so you'll get good info from them...I really just wanted to tell you that Yahoo has a group on pack goats. Try this:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/packgoats/

Some very knowledgeable folks on there.

Good luck.
    Meg

3. geminigoats

geminigoats Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone! :):) I just happened to check out the board tonight and saw Alpines, this post. I've been busy, swamped at work, however I do check in time to time. Been working late, 2 hrs extra every night doing a homebound on a student after school. Boy am I whipped! I recall the days a few yrs back when I would get up at 3:30 or 4:00 AM for the DHIR milk tester, milk 17 goats by hand, then do an hr commute to work, a homebound for 2 more and then milk 17 goats by hand when I got home and check e-mails, etc. Hmmm...guess I am getting old. I surf in here time to time as I can.

OK..... now for my favorite subject...Alpines! I just love my Alpines, they have so much personality! I also have some really mean Alpines too. Many of us Alpine breeders joke about our, "Mean ole' Alpines" and what it so ironic is that some of the breeders are just like the Alpines, always butting heads, etc. Seriously!!!! I jest you not! Alpines are so very sweet towards humans, etc, but not to each other or other breds. I will never forget my trip to WV about 3 yrs ago to get the rest of the Bayview herd. In addition to the Alpines my best friend in VA sent back with me a LaMancha, a very timid and submissive one. They didn't like her and made it known, every time we stopped for gas the trailer would shake from their fussing with the Munchie. Then I get them home and unloaded them in the garage so I could rest before taking them to their pens. I had driven almost 24 hrs straight and was beat. Well...those Alpines had that por Lamancha up on the small wood stack and surrounded her. As if to say, "We got you covered and if you come down we'll get you! I recall taking a pic because it was too crazy! If I find it I'll post it.

Now my 2 of my 6 bucks are an exception to the rule, they are very sweet and live up to their herd name, Sweet Dreams! I got them both as babies a yr apart, liked the line so well I got 2 bucks from the Sweet Dreams herd! My bucks are spoiled rotten and I refer to them as, "The Bad Boys!" but in reality they aren't. Hawk, one of my bucks is so sweet, he was there for me when I first got sick and one night I cried myself to sleep laying near him and he put his head on my shoulder, never moved, just sorta hugged me.

Its the does you have to watch for, they can be brutal, I have had tails bitten off, hair pulled out (blamed the nasty looking clip job on DH with one goats) so it looks like they had a bad hair day, the end of a teat bitten off (that was before I bought that doe) But all in all I love my Alpines and wouldn't have it any other way! Heck, I even had one who bit a judge in the butt when I was showing. And more than one time too!

They can have shaggy hair and I have a doe who does get shaggy hair and looks like a unshaven togg in the winter. In fact, she resembaled a togg at first to me. My one buck is shaggy haired too when he isn't clipped out. I don't have many does that are shaggy though. The Alpines are pretty tough and weather the cold well as Meg mentioned. They pretty much are easy kidders, never had many kidding problems.

If you'd like to know more about Alpines and their bloodlines I would be glad to help out! Take care.

Bernice

4. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

I'm new to goats, but I have really enjoyed my two. I have a Nubian doe and an Alpine Buck. They both have wonderful personalities, the doe is sweet and somewhat timid. Loves attention, but don't get in her face, she will twist her head and start shaking it as if to say yuck, people germs. Now the Alpine buck is another story. He is so friendly, he absolutely loves people. He will walk up and just lean into you. If you are sitting down or squatting, he will walk up and put his head on your should or in the crook of your arm as if to say I need some love. He will let you hug and love all over him. He plays with my 11 yr old. (actually the goats are his, a birthday present last year) My son lays on the ground and lewis (alpine) will roll him around by pushing with his head. He does have a tendency to head butt, however, he isn't rough, he is rather gentle. He does tend to get shaggy. Has a nice thick coat and has tolerated our -40 temps well.

5. 1farmgirl

1farmgirl Well-Known Member

My young alpine (she'll be a year old in March) has a very thick, shaggy coat and I finally had to shave her last summer so she would be cooler. My older alpine has regular length hair (same as my other goats.) She has been a mellow goat since I first got her, but I have noticed that within the last month or so, she has started to get ornery with the other does. For hairiness, you may look into toggs. I don't have any experience with them though, but any I have seen have been heavily haired.

My daughter has taught my young alpine to shake hands on command (most of the time :D ) and we have two young Lamanchas that she has also spoiled. She sits down in the pasture, they will come over and throw a leg over each shoulder (because she used to carry them around that way last year) It looks like they're giving her a hug. Now she has some new babies to cuddle as well and they have gotten their nose out of joint a bit because they think they, and they only, should get the attention.

Kathy

6. billooo2

billooo2 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have Alpines, and they are sweethearts, love attention, and are good milkers. They do tend to be aggressive with each other....they have to have their "pecking order" established. If they are not clipped for the warm weather, some will grow long hair. And they are quiet. And I like the variety of colors. Black and white is my favorite, and "cream" chamoisees with black trim....but I want to see different colors in the herd. And the cold weather -5 - 0 degress doesn't seem to phase them.

7. creeklady2000

creeklady2000 Well-Known Member

I Love my alpines they are my favorite breed!!! yes love the color of them Ih ave apied doe she is buetiful she is my calico :) and she is building audder as we speek very nice goats and very loving

8. geminigoats

geminigoats Well-Known Member

I too have a lot of colors in my herd. I have some with a ruby red almost brown, not quite Ober coloration that have white with black trim. I even have a line with hearts on them which is oddly enough, my Jackie line. Hope this link works so you can see. Its not a good pic as i don't take good pics. By the way, not all Alpines are bad and I probably gave that impression. I just have some of the "Queens of Mean!" in my herd, but in no way are they mean to anyone else but each other. They are settled in with each other now and so after a few yrs of living together have it all figured out.

Bernice

Heres my Pic of Pan my yearling buck with hearts on his side:
    [​IMG]