alpine nubian cross

Discussion in 'Goats' started by cballard, Dec 14, 2004.

1. cballard

cballard Well-Known Member

I am considering crossing my nubain nannies with an alpine buck.Both are registered.Is this a good cross,anyone have any luck? Is this a desirable cross.I am still a little new to dairy goats.I would love any input on this idea.I really don't have a nubain buck I can breed to.The buck I was going to breed to died last week. Thanks in advance Christina

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

You would have to beat me to death with a stick first! I think a LaMancha cross is about the best thing going if you really want to do this, the Nubian can stand the will to milk, and the more easy going attitude....but a big ole stubborn Nubian to a hate every other breed, (she would likely hate herself if she had floopy ears) ear biting, Alpine?? YIKES! :) Shoot the lost money in kid sales!

What part of Texas are you in? There is a nice buck in south Houston, Alvin, and I bet we could find you a buck if you tell us what part of Texas. You can privately email me if that would help vickilonesomedoe@hotmail.com We will get you a Nubain buck to use. Vicki

3. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

I didn't know that about Nubians Vicki!

I thought that I just somehow had the only RACIST Nubians in Texas!
    They are such snobs. They do put up with the Boer goats, and like the LaManchas somewhat better, but they can often be seen off in their own little group doing their own little thing. When they decide to do something, they like to sneak off and leave the rest of the herd behind! LOL :haha:

4. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Or you could find a nice registered Pygmy buck and make a new Kinder line!! :D

Kathleen

5. billygoatridge

billygoatridge Well-Known Member

I've always had nubian/alpine crosses and think they are a good cross. My husband likes nubians and I like alpines so instead of keeping two seperate herds we just alternate the breed of buck we use every couple of years. I suppose it might bring down the price of the kids if you have a market for registered purebreds but if home milk production is what you want it's a good cross. Most of the time the offspring will have more milk than nubians with more fat than an alpine, not to mention hybrid vigor.

6. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Oh and don't forget those 'attractive' airplane ears! :waa: Vicki

7. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I would think it a good cross, for a good milk , and you would probably get more milk, than from a nubian. give it a shot. and good luck.

8. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Way back several years ago I had a couple nubian does an Alpine doe and about 5 boer does and a big Alpine buck. He bred everybody and I had pretty babies. Now if I was in business selling animals I wouldn't mix the breeds. But for my own home meat and milk it was fine.