Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
Just over two years ago we moved to my son's farm in Washington State. We inherited two older alpacas which we take care of. We've never had a problem with coyotes bothering them and if they see one they run towards it sounding the alarm. They live in 20 acre paddock with an electric fence around it and we put them in a secure sleeping barn at night. The coyotes ignore the fence and just go under it.
Today, we saw a pair of coyotes with 7 pups all half grown and suddenly we are concerned about the alpacas being predated on. I've always thought that one coyote would be no problem to the alpacas but 9 of them??? that's a bit scary. I know that at some point the family will split up and go their separate ways but until then that's too many. I would like some opinions from folks who know more about alpacas than we do and would really appreciate it.
Thanks so much.
Lynn

·
Registered
Acta non verba
2,653 Posts
Would you be able to hotwire the bottom? Or reduce the paddock size temporarily? We have coyotes, fox, fishers, and I've yet to lose a free range chicken or goat. I had a family of 5+ weasels that I videoed who were within visual range of chickens and they went on their merry way, no chicken loses. Not everyone is so lucky of course, my point is that a predator isn't a guaranteed problem (they're all around us always).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Altair for your comments. Hot wiring the bottom is not really feasible for us.. too much fencing.. reducing the size may help. I've turned on the radio and we have motion detector lights .. I have to remember that these alpacas have been in that paddock for a long time before I came and the coyotes were around then and all is still well..so "historically" (don't ya hate that word) they have been fine.. it's a worry tho.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts