Alpaca Poop Tea

Discussion in 'Camelids' started by DixyDoodle, May 30, 2016.

1. DixyDoodle

DixyDoodle stranger than fiction

No, not for drinking! :teehee:

For your garden, of course!

Can alpaca poop tea be used fresh from the source or do you have to age it like horse manure? I know you can use goat poop straightaways. Would love to use alpaca poop if I can as it's way easier to collect.

2. DixyDoodle

DixyDoodle stranger than fiction

3. Belfrybat

Belfrybat Well-Known Member Supporter

Interesting. It's apparently not a "hot" manure so doesn't need composting. I guess much like rabbit? Let us know what your experience is, please.

4. doc-

doc- Well-Known Member

The nutrient content of manure from herbivores is not particularly good. In using it as fertilizer, you're essentially taking nutrients from one field, running it thru an herbivore (as feed) and dumping what's left into the new field (or flower pot). If you test composted manure, it comes up as no better than "adequate" in N, P & K. Using it as fertilizer helps maintain N, P & K, (and other nutrients) but is a slow way to actually improve the soil.

The real advantage of using composted manure is in improving the soil quality in terms of fibrous matter (often measured as "carbon content"). The fibrous quality improves soil pores allowing for better air content and water retention ability.

That advantage is lost in using manure "tea."

I think (not sure) that pelleted droppings, being dry, take some time to leach their nutrients into the soil, therefore can be used without composting, as opposed to wetter manure like cow or horse.

5. bjba

bjba Drifter

Boy I'm glad you clarified that.

6. KindFellow

KindFellow Member

My black buddy at work told me his mom gave them (kids) cow manure tea when I hey we're sick.
    Something about multiple stomaches processing it makes it almost sound reasonable.