Alone , Creepy or Cool ?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by AmericanStand, Apr 14, 2018 at 11:04 AM.

1. GTX63

GTX63 Well-Known Member

Drove thru something similar for a couple hours along rural New Mexico years ago as a young man. Very few buildings, no towns and no people.
    My first thought was "What happens if you run out of gas?"
    My second was to turn on the radio to make sure civilization still existed and the robot pirate zombies hadn't yet parachuted in from Beta Reticuli.

nehimama, melli, roadless and 2 others like this.
  2. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

the snow would have creeped me out.. So would a low fuel tank. The alone part not so much.

nehimama likes this.

3. Echoesechos

Echoesechos Well-Known Member

Well if my vehicle was running great and it wasn't dark, I would be fine. Now throw into the mix a faulty car and night time I'd be unsettled. I like to see what's around me and a faulty vehicle stresses me no matter what.

nehimama likes this.
  4. Yvonne's hubby

Yvonne's hubby Murphy was an optimist ;) Staff Member

There are still a few lonely hi ways, mostly in the western states. I love them but am always conscious about topping off the fuel at every opportunity. Especially when riding a motorcycle with a fuel range of 200 miles, maybe less.

5. JJ Grandits

JJ Grandits Well-Known Member

In my younger day I use to go camping alone. Sometimes overnight, sometimes up to a week. It was usually a little of both.
    Sitting around a fire at night alone in the woods gets very introspective.

6. AmericanStand

AmericanStand Well-Known Member

LOL First time I traveled this road back in 81 I stopped In the middle of the most remote stretch, in the middle of the road just for fun , sat there and Ate my lunch and thought wow Id hate to break down out here.
    Walked back to my truck and there was a HUGE bubble on the side of a steer tire. They call them goose eggs but this was more the size of a ostrich egg.
    I drove very gingerly to Klamath falls.

nehimama and gerold like this.
  7. emdeengee

emdeengee Well-Known Member

The side roads here are always empty as are the highways except in summer. In late fall, winter and early spring you can spend 8 or 9 hours driving and see perhaps two or three other vehicles. Usually transport trucks or an RCMP patrol car on the look out for breakdowns. Of course stay off the roads when it is a long weekend or the beginning of Rendezvous or other winter festivals because you might hit a traffic jam. Two cars ahead of you at an intersection and people lose their minds honking. And sled teams still have the right of way in many towns including Dawson.

melli likes this.
  8. hiddensprings

hiddensprings Well-Known Member

I love being out there driving, hiking, whatever where there is absolutely NOBODY around....love it. BUT put me in a city and I’m totally stressed out. Hate it.

Twp.Tom, kalmara and JJ Grandits like this.
  9. emdeengee

emdeengee Well-Known Member

We spent a total of six months ( twice three months) in the Big city for my cancer treatment. I thought we would both go crazy. Never been attacked by any animal here in the north but had to run for our lives several times because of the city raccoons that were patrolling the streets we had to walk down at night to get back to the Cancer Lodge.

nehimama likes this.
  10. Echoesechos

Echoesechos Well-Known Member

Klamath Falls huh. I’m north that city, 395 is a remote highway.

11. melli

melli Otiose Endomorph

Dawson, Yk? Must get some quiet roads up there.
    Long ago, I was on the Mackenzie Delta, off the ice road to Tuk. Was in a spot where I knew there was nobody north of me for thousands of miles. That was an odd thought. Not creepy or cool...more of a whoa! If I turned the truck off and started walking north, that would be that.
    Great pics AmericanStand!

12. roadless

roadless Well-Known Member Supporter

I thought I was alone in upstate New York a few years back, it was so beautiful, windows down, music on, cruising..$210 speeding ticket showed me I wasn't quite as alone as I thought! o_O

13. AmericanStand

Lol I was coming across on OR-140 when I got to 395 it was like finding civilization!
    Heck you could even see a house from the intersection.
    The last time coming out it was like finding old friends.

Echoesechos likes this.
  14. oneraddad

oneraddad Non-Known Member

Off of Route 140 in between Denio and McDermit up in the mountains on Trout creek my grandpa herded sheep for nearly 40 years. He seldom saw people, he had three brothers that never married that herded sheep in Idaho near the Nevada border that rarely saw people either. Then there's me up here on the mountain at the end of a 3 mile dirt road off north 395 all by myself, I think it's where I'm supposed to be.

Twp.Tom, roadless and gerold like this.
  15. AmericanStand