Almost Two Freezers Full

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by big rockpile, Nov 21, 2003.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Number 5 figure I will get 2 more.

[​IMG]

big rockpile

2. texican

texican Well-Known Member

What state are you in? Have a nice liberal limit. Here in E. Texas, the professional biologists have destroyed our deer herds. Limit us to one buck, but kill two does. Couple years back, it was one buck, and four does. Said our poor deer were starving. BS. The bios were surveying a herd behind an unhunted high fence area. When they visited our leases, they explained their methodolgy...counting tracks, scat, etc. Except the scat they were counting was rabbit scat.

We use to kill two bucks, and does by permit only. We would get 40 bucks a year, now, lucky to see any deer at all, maybe 5 bucks a year. But a whole new generation of doe hunters entered the field, all of a sudden, yahoos who couldn't even see a buck, could kill a truckload of does. Of course they complained the next several years about not being able to kill so many 'easy does'. Weren't raised on farms...one bull/buck can service many cows/does. Kill all your cows and does, and you'll have no young next year. Amazing how many people will argue this ain't so.

3. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

NICE deer, congrats...Joan :eek:

4. big rockpile

texican we can kill 3 Bucks and all the Does we want.But kills are down this year and their all scratching their heads trying to figure out what happened.

big rockpile

5. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

big rockpile...with almost 2 freezers full of venison,do you have any favorite recipes for us?

6. Kelle in MT

Kelle in MT Well-Known Member

I agree, nice buck :D I wish Montana let you have that many, but here you can buy an "A" tag and it then depends on the area you hunt in as to what you can shoot. You can apply for a "B" tag, but I'm not sure whether or not you're guaranteed to get one. Two deer get us by for now( Dh and Ds are the hunters) and if we NEED three I can get an "A" tag and shoot one.

7. Rockpile I may have to come up there and hunt with you. I've only gotten one deer so far. I can't hardly find a deer around here. I'm unfortunate this year, what few places I have access to I have to share with 10,000 poachers. The deer are so hard pressed they are almost completely nocturnil. They have increased our harvest and our number of hunting days here but that only helps if you happen to own any sizable amount of land that you can control yourself. I'm just about fed up with it.

8. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Very Nice!
    Get 'm on your land?

9. big rockpile

tallpines got this Buck and one Doe off my property,went across the road on Goverment Land and got 3 other Does.

big rockpile

10. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey David, How far did Tina have to drag that buck to get it to the truck?

11. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

Just be sure you have a generator to run those freezers in case of power failures. I know you must have this all set. Beatiuful buck....yum! LOL LQ

12. big rockpile

uncle Will :haha: well she didn't have to drag if but I had to call her up to get it loaded in the truck,I just couldn't do it :( :no: .

big rockpile

13. j.r. guerra in s. tx.

j.r. guerra in s. tx. Well-Known Member

Very nice buck Rockpile - venison in the freezer is just like money in the bank.

I've only had one chance to go out so far - but the rut is coming soon, and I can't wait to try and take on the muy grandes that I think are out there.

I hear you, r.h. about the poaching. I've heard reports that poaching is definitely up this year - maybe its an economy thing, maybe more folks are planning to put something in the freezer should the economy tank. Either way, bad news for deer and hunting.