Almost time to Set Clocks Back

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bumpus, Oct 28, 2004.

1. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

Time to Set Clocks Back to Standard Time

WASHINGTON - Backyard barbecue season is winding to a close and it's time to say goodbye to daylight-saving time.

Clocks shift back to standard time at 2 a.m. Sunday, local time, giving most people an extra hour of sleep Saturday night.

That means set the clock back an hour — fall back.

Of course, it also means an extra hour of work to those who work the overnight shift.

Daylight-saving time returns the first Sunday in April.

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Does that mean the chickens will sleep in an hour? Or does it mean I have to get up earlier at the same time? :confused: :confused: :confused:

3. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

Whenever the time change occurs I wonder why we have to do it. Why not leave it alone? Who or what business does it help? There must have been a good reason to start it years ago but I only see it as a "nuisance".

Nappy

4. Zuiko

Zuiko Well-Known Member

I think we should skip it too, but the thing is were going back to standard time, whoever invented standard time messed up, they should have made it later. It seems weird how it gets dark earlier and earlier then we set our clocks so it gets dark another hour earlier, but in spring, when us homesteaders usually have more work to do, and farmers, we can do an extra hour worth of stuff come April.

5. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Some people are not happy....they now have to work a 13 hr. shift Sat. nite!!! Oh well :rolleyes: DEE

6. boren

boren Well-Known Member

nappy,

I live in a state that doesn't change, and I wish we did. (everywhere else i've lived changes) In the summer it's dark by 8pm, and it sucks! Sure it's nice having the sun up at 4:30am, but I would prefer to have more light at night.

So you say, get up an hour earlier. That's a great idea! But I still have to be at work at 8am, and home by 5pm. Stores don't shift their hours, etc. I still have to work with the people around me, so I can't change my hours unless they do.

Oh, and I listen to radio and TV that has programs off of national feeds, some are live shows. Starting Sunday they completely rearrange the programming since everyone changes but us. I think by not changing we have to change even more.

Food for thought.

7. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

I need the extra daylight in the am, feeding horses in the dark is scary, especially if one happens to 'jump sideways" cause the cat runs out from under a feeder!

I think the time was done this way because of children riding school buses - it's dangerous to have them waiting alongside roads in the dark.

Sidepasser

8. WIPPdriver

WIPPdriver Well-Known Member

If I remember right, I believe that daylight savings time was started during WWI or WWII to extend the day to conserve fuel and electricity for the war effort. RWIW
    WIPPdriver

9. indypartridge

indypartridge Well-Known Member Supporter

Boren,
    Don't know where in IN you live, but here in central IN summer daylight lasts past 9pm. I'm the opposite, I've lived all over the country and love the fact we don't observe DST here in IN. TV times aren't a nuisance since we ditched the TV. For the rest of you, most polls show us Hoosiers pretty evenly divided on the subject of DST. Doubtful there will ever be a solution since the NW part of the state wants to be on the same time as Chicago (CST) and the SE part of the state wants to be on the same time as Cincinnati & Louisville (EST).

10. amelia

amelia Well-Known Member

This is going to sound very wierd, but I always enjoy "picking" which hour of the weekend I want to repeat. I figure there's no sense in letting a whole extra hour go to waste by sleeping right through it.

This truly must be the product of a sick mind, or else a body that's never got enough time. . .

11. boren

boren Well-Known Member

Official sunset here June 21st is 8:21pm.

TV doesn't bother me, radio bothers me more. The fact that Indiana doesn't change when the rest of the world does costs Indiana in trouble and business. But locals like it, it's their way of being different. ;)

12. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

13. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reminder! :)

14. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

sidepasser you are right i believe, i read somewhere the school bus issue caused the daylight savings time too. As for me no matter which way the clock is going it takes me forever to get used to it! makes me just a little bit more crazy!