Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to Set Clocks Back to Standard Time

WASHINGTON - Backyard barbecue season is winding to a close and it's time to say goodbye to daylight-saving time.

Clocks shift back to standard time at 2 a.m. Sunday, local time, giving most people an extra hour of sleep Saturday night.

That means set the clock back an hour — fall back.

Of course, it also means an extra hour of work to those who work the overnight shift.

Daylight-saving time returns the first Sunday in April.

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
Does that mean the chickens will sleep in an hour? Or does it mean I have to get up earlier at the same time? :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Whenever the time change occurs I wonder why we have to do it. Why not leave it alone? Who or what business does it help? There must have been a good reason to start it years ago but I only see it as a "nuisance".

Nappy

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think we should skip it too, but the thing is were going back to standard time, whoever invented standard time messed up, they should have made it later. It seems weird how it gets dark earlier and earlier then we set our clocks so it gets dark another hour earlier, but in spring, when us homesteaders usually have more work to do, and farmers, we can do an extra hour worth of stuff come April.

·
Registered
248 Posts
nappy,

I live in a state that doesn't change, and I wish we did. (everywhere else i've lived changes) In the summer it's dark by 8pm, and it sucks! Sure it's nice having the sun up at 4:30am, but I would prefer to have more light at night.

So you say, get up an hour earlier. That's a great idea! But I still have to be at work at 8am, and home by 5pm. Stores don't shift their hours, etc. I still have to work with the people around me, so I can't change my hours unless they do.

Oh, and I listen to radio and TV that has programs off of national feeds, some are live shows. Starting Sunday they completely rearrange the programming since everyone changes but us. I think by not changing we have to change even more.

Food for thought.

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
I need the extra daylight in the am, feeding horses in the dark is scary, especially if one happens to 'jump sideways" cause the cat runs out from under a feeder!

I think the time was done this way because of children riding school buses - it's dangerous to have them waiting alongside roads in the dark.

Sidepasser

·
Registered
46 Posts
If I remember right, I believe that daylight savings time was started during WWI or WWII to extend the day to conserve fuel and electricity for the war effort. RWIW
WIPPdriver

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
boren said:
I live in a state that doesn't change, and I wish we did. (everywhere else i've lived changes) In the summer it's dark by 8pm, and it sucks!
Boren,
Don't know where in IN you live, but here in central IN summer daylight lasts past 9pm. I'm the opposite, I've lived all over the country and love the fact we don't observe DST here in IN. TV times aren't a nuisance since we ditched the TV. For the rest of you, most polls show us Hoosiers pretty evenly divided on the subject of DST. Doubtful there will ever be a solution since the NW part of the state wants to be on the same time as Chicago (CST) and the SE part of the state wants to be on the same time as Cincinnati & Louisville (EST).

·
Registered
403 Posts
This is going to sound very wierd, but I always enjoy "picking" which hour of the weekend I want to repeat. I figure there's no sense in letting a whole extra hour go to waste by sleeping right through it.

This truly must be the product of a sick mind, or else a body that's never got enough time. . .

·
Registered
248 Posts
Official sunset here June 21st is 8:21pm.

TV doesn't bother me, radio bothers me more. The fact that Indiana doesn't change when the rest of the world does costs Indiana in trouble and business. But locals like it, it's their way of being different. ;)

·
Goshen Farm
7,272 Posts
sidepasser you are right i believe, i read somewhere the school bus issue caused the daylight savings time too. As for me no matter which way the clock is going it takes me forever to get used to it! makes me just a little bit more crazy!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts