Almost time for deer season again.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Jul 23, 2006.

1. Yipppeeee!!!! My oldest daughter (11 yrs.old) just drawed in for a special youth deer hunt on a game reserve. Two day hunt, either sex, gun. Second weekend of October. May get some "meat on the table" early this year.

I also drawed in for a special hunt for a one day hunt using archery the very next weekend after my daughters. Mine is for one deer either sex and one turkey.

These are bonus deer hunts. Which means if we get a deer we can still fill our tag limit during regular deer season.

It gonna be a good upcoming deer season. Yippeeee!

2. Big Dave

Big Dave Well-Known Member

rh Glad to see you are still posting. There is a urban hunt going on in a town I do not recall which one in arkansas. TOO many of them boogers. I am also excited as I am getting a cross bow this year. I can not pull back my bow anymore. Got old I guess.I have scouted out some fine specimen's. Live on the edge of Ft Chaffee. I would like to get a bear this year, but do not want to kill it just for sport and do not know anyone who would want the meat. GOD Bless you and your hunt's . TRUTH & MERCY Big Dave

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Good luck rh, hope you fill all your tags this year!

4. OzarkHmsteaders

OzarkHmsteaders HomesteadHopefuls

BigDave's post gave me a thought of a possibility some may not be aware of. I am in Missouri and am disabled. About 1/2 of my heart is dead from the first time my heart attacked me and I have a bone disease which is disintegrating the joints in my shoulders and vertabrae in my back and neck. Anyway, I am unable to pull back a compound bow anymore. Don't know how it is in other states, but here in Missouri I got a special permit to use a crossbow during longbow season. My Doctor just had to fill out a form for me to send to the Department of Conservation and I got a special permit that is good forever. Good luck to all the hunters out there. Venison sure is good eatin'. (Tommy)

5. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Sounds good r.h.!! I put in for Managed Hunt up here.Plus I am going on another Hog Hunt.We can kill all the Deer we want but I'm just going for 3.

OzarkHmsteaders I use a Crossbow too.If your in Wheelchair there is several Hunts that you can go to.There is a Hunt up at Warsaw that you can put in for no matter your disabllity.

big rockpile

6. JackDeePeyton

JackDeePeyton Well-Known Member

Got a few deer that have been playin havic in the garden area. If they are around this season, I am going to put some fresh venison on the table and in the freezer. It has been several years since I have hunted but used to love it. Matter of fact, one of the largest bucks that I have seen in years, is hangin around our place. Last time I seen him, he was in velvet, but had a nice lookin rack on him. Best of luck r.h. and happy hunting.

7. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Neighbors have feeding the deer pretty well over on the far side of our woods...........and the they retreat back into our woods.

I'll be sitting over in that direction on opening day. :hobbyhors

8. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

Ive got 3 crossbows, 2 long bows, a 50 Hawken, 2 44 pistols, and IO havnt hunted since 68. Cant anymore if I wanted to. at least not far from home. Could, and maybe will here when I retire, if i have sombody who likes meat that muchIm thew only one around here for miles that grows corn, and the deer all know it lol

9. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

In NC you can get a disabled permit and can actually hunt from a vehicle. He just drives his car to the fields and rolls down a window when "bambi" shows up. I no longer bow hunt--while cleaning a "spike" a couple years ago I discovered a broadhead stuck into the shoulder bone. I will not injure an animal like that-they hurt also. When I shoot a deer he is going down permanently and hopefully very quickly. I know it is sporting to bow hunt and I used to enjoy it. Now my arrows travel at @3,000 ft per second. I still go during bow season but that is another story that "never happens". 06

10. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

a patient bow hunter waits for a perfect shot and a well placed arrow will take down any reasonable game. some folks just get in a hurry. i have let many, many deer pass me by because i could not get a perfect shot. a razor sharp arrow in the right spot can do damage no matter what the velocity is.

i know guys who have wounded about as many as they have killed. they are just impatient antler hunters who take 30 even 40 yard shots. i helped one idiot track a wounded buck the next day after he took a 40 yard shot at dusk the night before...the idiot. we never found the deer but did find a half mile long blood trail...the idiot.

11. brownegg

brownegg Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in wisconsin when you buy a bow tag you get three tags!

Two are anterless only tags and one buck tag.

However you can't shoot a buck until you shoot a doe first in most of the states management units.

They call them earn a buck units.

12. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in Louisiana, we get to start bow hunting on Oct. 1st. I've got a dozen or so playing around the yard right now. Velvet is gone and the bucks are already getting stupid by coming out early in the mornings and around 6 pm at night.

Can't wait for the sausage and backstrap. Good luck ya'll.

13. Sausage and Backstraps huh! My daughter told me that when she kills one she wants me to make Jerky out of all of the deer and nothing else! :help: That's gonna be a lot of work!

14. alabamared

alabamared Well-Known Member

My kids love for me to make jerky. Here, in my county in Alabama, I can kill a buck and a doe everyday from October 15 til Januaury 31. Bow ( and crossbow) the first month then muzzle-loader season for a week followed by gun season.
    Red

15. bargarguy

bargarguy Well-Known Member

Hey how many deer can ya shoot there in Ok? just curious. I also use a crossbow however it is something I take a ribbing for occaisonaly from some of the guys I know. It is just a matter of ethics for me, being skilled with a compound or longbow takes pratice on a regular basis, something I do not have enough time for any more. So I use my crossbow and take the digs and keep smiling.

16. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

r.h.,

LOL! My kids are the same way. They are begging me to make a whole deer into jerky.

I told them if they wanted to participate in the cleaning and trimming of the meat I'd be happy to.

We'll see... :rolleyes:

17. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

One of my friends who has several medical conditions is still an avid deer hunter...he's just had to modify his tactics.

He now has a small, light four-wheeler (Bayou 220) with a backrest on the seat. He has a home-made blind that is made of camouflage netting screwed to EMT poles. He pulls up to his desired spot, places his blind, and hunts off of the wheeler. If he shoots something, he call one of us on his cell phone to come help him pick it up.

He manages to get at least a couple this way every year.

18. MERRYMEDIC

MERRYMEDIC LIVE YOUR LIFE...

I made a homemade deer blind last year that easily seats 2 people and you can even stand in it. I embarrassingly missed with my muzzle loader last year and didn't get a shot during rifle season. I have a cross bow and I am looking forward to hunting season this year if my place doesn't sell before the season starts. Hey r.h. where do you do your processing? I myself do my own at home. My ex husband even made me skin and gut my own so I just do it myself now.

Hey I saw two bucks with nice racks in velvet on the turnpike the other day, kinda got my blood pumping. :)

19. Sorry I haven't gotten back to answer some of your questions. I've been kind of busy here lately.

Merymedic, I usually do my very own deer processing. In fact one time I had my own processing business doing deer for hunters. It kept me quit busy and I learned some new tricks on how to prepare the carcass or how to make different suasages, etc.

Bargarguy, Here in Oklahoma you can kill up to 6 deer in a years time with regular hunting seasons. But we also have special hunts where you can draw in at a game reserve and kill you a bonus deer which doesn't apply to the yearly harvest limit.

I have never harvested all my limit of deer as we only eat about 2 to 3 deer in a years time. No sense killing more then what we can eat in a years time. Usually come next deer season we still have a few packages leftover. Mostly ground burger, which gets made into summer sausage so we can take it with us on our deer hunts.

Sorry for the late replies.

20. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Went and checked my Game Cam :hobbyhors I'm pumped now !!!!!!

[​IMG]

big rockpile