Almost there, New Homestead

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Anataq, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Anataq

Anataq Well-Known Member

Major new for us, we have decided to make our move a whole lot sooner, and to forgo a few of the luxuries we intended. We will be moving in year round at our remote home spring of 2006. It's going to be nice to be a couple hundred miles from a road system. We're driving up to Alaska with the last of our "stuff" heading for fairbanks to pickup a new flat bottom boat, then to Anchorage to rent a truck, pick up a boat trailer for our larger boat allready on the lake, purchase all of our first years food supplies, and other supplies, and purchase a new ATV. Then its down to Homer where it all get's barged across cook intlet stacked on our boats and taken up the river to our homesite. Summer of 2006 will be a very, very full season. The excitement is building. We are pre shipping a handful of the larger items like the wood cook stove and poly water containers, so they will allready be in Homer when we get there. Building materials are also being shipped out of Homer the same time everything else goes across.

-Anataq

2. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

I hope that all of your careful planning goes well. I would love to hear about your progress it is so interesting. What type of wood stove are you going to use?
    I am not sure if it is a special type for the extreme weather?
    Jodi

3. Anataq

Anataq Well-Known Member

Sorry I have not responded sooner. The wood cook stove I believe we have settled on is the Amish made Kitchen Queen, although we like the Pioneer Maid as well. Keep going back and forth, but we are running out of time. Our climate is not to extreme because we are in Southern Alaska and the winter temperatures are not nearly as cold as in the Interior. For heating the home we are going to use a masonry heater, which is much more effiecent than a wood stove.

-Anataq

4. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

Anataq, congratulations. I know this takes some courage, but I am very sure you will do well, since you have planned so thoroughly. Who knows, maybe some day I can be a customer!