Almost gross!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by allenslabs, May 21, 2005.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

I was at my neighbors tonight and they were telling me about their nubian does birth. She was bred last year, bagged up, was big and everything then just looked small and went back to normal. Never kidded or had any signs of it. Well this time she was bred and was maybe a day or two overdue and had been straining off and on for a day. Well the next day she gave birth to a stillborn buck. But then there was a lot of placenta left and such and then she pushed out a mummy of sorts! It was the previous years kid! He said it was the nastiest thing he has ever seen (he's 75) and it just looked like a mummified kid. So she didn't absorb it or anything it was just in there and most likely what killed the little buck born dead. Have you all ever heard of anything like this? It is the oddest thing to me.

2. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

It most likely was not last years kid. If she had a dead kid inside her for a year she would have been sick or died by now. This mummified kid was almost surely this year's twin that didn't make it. He is right that the mummified kid could have caused the death of the viable buck kid though. Something caused the death of the other kid, illness, nutrition issues, she got butted over there and it killed the baby, or it could have just been the kid died because something "wasn't put together right", unknown, but it isn't that uncommon to see mummified kids in goats. Good nutrition, nice hay, oats, corn, alfalfa pellets last 50 days of pregnancy along with shot of selenium and she needs to be on good minerals with plenty of copper 1000 to 2000 ppm. I give mine a loose cow mineral out in their mineral feeder free choice. The general health of the Mama definitely reflects on the health of her offspring. If she isn't having viable births then something is wrong. I would pull some blood on her and send it in to the lab to be tested for any diseases, cae, cl, tb, brucellosis, chlamidia to rule out anything like that first before you keep putting more money into feeding and caring for a doe that isn't giving you kids. If her general health is ok then I would look into changing her nutrition/vitamin/mineral management. Sorry for the loss. That is always a bummer when you have been looking forward to kids.

3. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

The hay she eats is a real nice alf mix that my goats just LOVE! Then I'm not so sure about the grain but know she get a lot. She has a mineral lick hanging on the wall for goats and always has plenty of water and such. I have never heard of a mummified kid. I'll have to tell them today when I go over there to return their hoof nippers.

4. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

Do they have cats? Barn cats? Please see the previous post about mummified kids.

I have had this happen, and I can assure you that it's the most disgusting thing I've ever seen or smelled.

5. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

You might try checking the mineral lick for copper content and see what the ppm is. I know if they aren't getting the proper amount of copper it can cause birthing /pregnancy problems.