Almost free tools for the homestead

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Elizabeth, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member Supporter

My husband and I do a lot of shopping at Menard's, a Home Depot- type of store (lumber, building supplies, tools, etc.). When DH took me there for the first time last fall I noticed that the store was offering rebates on quite a few items. They combine sale prices with rebates and the item winds up being almost free (except for sales tax and postage). At the time I did not take advantage of any of the rebates because I thought that I did not need the items, and did not want to clutter up our tiny home with more "stuff" which we don't use. But then one day it occurred to me that I have three teenage nephews, 13, 13 and 15yo, who will soon start thinking about moving out on their own. So I decided to buy whatever items are offered, as long as the rebate covers the purchase price, and start a sort of "hope chest" for each of them (I guess "tool chest" would be more appropriate, lol!). I started doing this in January and so far have accumulated 8 tape measures; 2 pair of pliers; 2 pair of needle-nose pliers; one hammer (which I gave to DH); some shelf-liner material; one utility knife; some screwdrivers; and a couple of packages of Scripto pens. Other items which I have purchased for our own use include two bottles of window cleaner; 2 large bags of tea light candles; a package of hand wipes; paint roller covers and brushes; a couple of tubes of silicone rubber sealer; and some drinking glasses with Rapella fishing lures (some kind of promo deal?). Yesterday I bought a nice set of Fiskars pruning shears for $9.95 with a $5 rebate- not quite free but at $4.99 still a great deal for a set of tools which will get a lot of use.

It occurred to me that this could be a good way for beginning homesteaders to acquire small hand tools. The only hitch is that the rebate is in the form of a store credit rather than cash, but we wind up buying so much from Menard's anyway that we know we will use the rebates there. Also, I can send in up to 5 rebate forms in one envelope, which saves on postage$$. If you have a Menard's near you it might be worth checking them out.

2. jlxian

jlxian Also known as Jean Supporter

This is a good idea -- thanks! It would be a terrific way to gather gifts for Christmas, too.

3. DAVID In Wisconsin

DAVID In Wisconsin Well-Known Member

I am a professional at Menard's rebates! I buy lots of things that I don't need for Christmas and birthday gifts. Don't you just love it?

4. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

Ah, it's a vicious circle though. Once you get your rebate check you have to take it back to Menards to spend it. I've done it too, t-shirts, socks, peanuts and garden seeds. It is a nice way to stock up for the boys!

5. annethcz

annethcz Well-Known Member

I love the idea of a hope chest/ tool chest for your kids. My dad collected tools for me (and my siblings), and by the time I got married, I had a more extensive tool collection than DH!!!! It's great that I have my own tools (and mostly know how to use them ;) )

6. ibcnya

ibcnya Well-Known Member

My Dad did that for me and my brothers from rebates at Menards. I had a tool box full of stuff. Alot of it extras but it all gets used sooner or later.

7. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member Supporter

Alot of it extras but it all gets used sooner or later.

Yeah, I thought we were getting a little overstocked on tape measures, but as DH pointed out, they are so easy to lose/misplace- you can never have too many of 'em, lol!