Almost Free Hickory Cane Seed

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ken Scharabok, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

(I have also posted this under General Homesteading questions.)

OK, doesn't look like Countryside magazine will publish from offer there, so will make it available here on the forum exclusively.

I have a neighbor who is in his 70s. He has planted and saved ears for replanting from when his parents had the farm. He says this is the original Hickory Cane, not to be confused with the Hickory King you can buy most anywhere. He swears Hickory King may have been developed from Hickory Cane, but isn't the same.

Personally I don't know, so I'll take his word for it. He has never tried to develop this strain, such as saving kernels from only the largest and best ears, so there is a wide variety in ear size and stalk height. (Another person in the area does grow Hickory King seed and I have noticed most of his stalks and ears seem to be very consistent.) He did try to keep this planted separately to avoid any cross-pollination.

Most years he lets me haul off most of the corn stalks after he has picked what he wanted as cattle feed. Last year I saved some of the ears and dried them in the shuck as he continues year-to-year with a smaller and smaller planting. I don't know how much longer he will even plant.

I am told this corn does best in the mid-tier states from NC/SC to MO.

If you will send me $1.00 to cover the cost of the padded envelope and postage, I will send you between 60 and 100 kernels. Perhaps more, depending on how many people are interested. In return, you have to promise to send me the kernels from your best ear so I can do this next year also. You also have to promise to try to spread this old strain by encouraging others to try it as well from the seed you get. I would encourage you to save seed from only your biggest and best developed ears even though some folks say it doesn't make a different in future crops.

A bit of history at least locally. At one time there wasn't a 'sweet corn'. Some folks used field corn, but those most grew this Hickory Cane. It was sweeter than standard field corn and was prized for hominy and white corn meal. Ears grew much larger and stalks were much taller than standard field corn. After the ears were picked, the stalks would be harvested and stored as winter fodder. In some areas of the country I believe it was called White Corn.

I will ship these out in mid-March. If I get more requests than available seed I will return your $1.00. First come, first served basis.

Ken Scharabok
    1645 West Blue Creek Road
    Waverly, TN 37185

2. sdt

sdt Member

Thank you !!! I'll get mine sent to you today.All the old farmers around here talk of Hickory Cane,but it's not around here anymore either.We have room to plant a large patch,and would consider it an honor to keep producing seed for sharing !!!
    Sheryl

3. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

I am sending three ounces (about 250 kernels) to those who have sent the $1.00. Still have more left if someone hasn't requested it so far.

I have had several 'old timers' tell me the Hickory King sold today isn't the Hickory Cane they remember from their youths, so perhaps this is a different stain.

Ken Scharabok

4. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Ken,
    I would love to have some of your seed. I'm working out of town right now and won't be able to get anything in the mail till Tuesday, is that ok?
    We grow a little corn for animal feed and grow our own corn for meal. This one sounds interesting.
    Thanks,
    Paula

5. Haynes

Haynes Well-Known Member

Ken
    I got the seeds today.
    I came in late on this.
    I appreciate it.
    I'll do a good grow out on them.

Thanks

Donnie--