Allis-Chalmers 916

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Orville, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Orville

Orville Well-Known Member

I recently bought an AC 916 garden tractor. It has a one-cylinder, 16hp engine, hydrolic lift, came with 48" mower deck, 36" tiller, a plow, and some other plow-looking thing. It was purchased new in 1984....for $5,000, believe it or not. Seems like a lot of $, especially for 20 yrs ago. I didn't know AC made garden tractors. I need to buy a certain electrical part to put the starting system back to original, and I need to adjust the PTO clutch, as it smokes (I hope it's within adjustment).Does anyone have any experience with these tractors? Any hints? Suggestions? Kohler engine.

2. norris

norris Well-Known Member

Not familiar with that tractor but sounds like an old Power King I once had. The smoking clutch is probably a smoking belt. With engine tuned off, make sure the blades on the deck (if that's what the clutch engages) turn freely. If they're stuck the belt will smoke when you energize the clutch (it's electric, right?).
    You can probably get the electrical part from a Kohler dealer.

3. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Most likely a Simplicity dealer (part of the Agco dealerships, which bought Allis Chalmers along with Oliver, White, Simplicity, and close to 20 other lines mostly agricultural...) would be the support place for you.

--->Paul

4. Orville

Orville Well-Known Member

Thank you both. I don't know what is smoking. I'm just going by what the previous owner said. I'm not able to tear into the tractor until this weekend. I read that the pto clutch is adjustable, a rather simple operation it seems. Whether belt or clutch, I don't think it's a big deal. It's in quite good shape for its age, and previous owner said it runs well with good power. I know he wouldn't deliberately mislead me, so I hope to have it up and running soon. I currently rototil with an old MTD tractor. I have to manually raise the tiller...which is incredibly heavy as they used lots of steel...so I'll appreciate the hydrolic lift on the Allis. Also, the tranny on my MTD is stuck in low range forward, which is fine for tilling, but I have to carefully plan my routes so I don't get stuck in a place where I need reverse. I have to look at why I can't shift the MTD. The clutch always had a bit of a tight spot as I depressed it, and one day instead of feathering it past that spot, I just gave a good push on the clutch. Now I can't shift the thing. Any ideas?

5. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

They are great old tractors. Really solid and last forever, if you can find parts. They are pretty desirable to collectors too. We bought one, mostly disassembled. Kept it for a few months an ended up selling it some guy who drove 12 hours to buy it for more money than we paid for it. He had one of each model of the small ACs.

Here is a website dedicated specifically to old AC and Simplicity tractors. Someone there will be able to answer any questions you come up with. There are also links to parts dealers and other suppliers. It's a great site. Have fun!

http://www.simpletractors.com