AllergyBeGone internet purchase gone bad...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by nappy, Dec 9, 2005.

1. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

Last month I ordered a mattress "cushion" from Allergy Be Gone to extend an old mattress' life. The picture on the order site showed a cushion similar to a featherbed laying on top of a mattress. I also ordered a zippered cover for the "cushion". Copy of internet site order form and the packing sheet/invoice listed the items as mattress "cushion" and mattress "cushion" encasing. What I received and noticed after opening both packages was a fitted mattress pad, something that could be bought for no more than $50 at a department store. I paid $139.95 for a misrepresented mattress "cushion". Angering me more is that the encasing was $70.95, and there is no way to encase a fitted mattress pad. Not sure if you are following me on this but there is a difference between a mattress "cushion" and a mattress pad. I called Allergy Be Gone...Lo and behold "no returns on opened packages of bedding". And, yes, I understand that policy but what I received and paid for was not what was represented on their site.

:bash:

What can I do now other than complain to anybody who will listen about Allergy Be Gone? Or is it buyer beware? Or never order again from the internet?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Nappy

2. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Hopefully you paid by credit card. Call them and reverse the payment, telling them what you received was misrepresented, and return the shipment to the sender's address (shipping so you have documentation of returning it).

Your credit card is the safest way to buy things; your CC company will take care of you in a jam like this.

Also print out the page from their website of what you ordered, for backup, in case they change it later.

3. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

4. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

And this is "homesteading" how?

5. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

The poster is trying to solve the allergy problems brought on by homesteading. ;)

6. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

That company is NOTORIOUS for shady business practices. I tanged with them over a water filter once and had to get my credit card company and amazon into the act before I got my money back. Stay far far far far away from them.

AllergyBeGone Be Crooks Beware

7. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

I agree with shepherd - call your credit card company. That is definately NOT what you ordered!

8. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Well, they have a satisfactory rating with the BBB, so apparently if you raise enough of a stink you can get your money back. I would contact the BBB.

9. poppy

poppy Guest

I hope you get your money back. You stated your matress was getting old. I would join the local Freecycle groups. There are matresses and complete beds on ours here all the time. Sometimes they still have the plastic on them. Good luck

10. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

Put in a complaint with the BBB.
    If you found it on TV or internet, get in touch with the FCC.
    Call the credit card company and dispute the item.
    If you have a picture of the item that was advertised, get a picture of what you got and send that along to the BBB and FCC and credit card co.
    Sounds like a clear case of deceptive practices and doom on their opened package policy. Sounds like they do that so noone will go through all this crud.
    I've had to deal with the BBB once. It was for 6 coffee mugs and a baseball cap from BuyBidWin.com. I waited for almost 6 months and kept writing and emailing. After I called the BBB in on them, I got my items. 3 coffee mugs smashed, 1 whole and 2 with broken handles and a knit hat. Never went back to that site, either. And there's plenty of complaints now... ;)

11. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

From my experience, I'll add that you might get a lot further with complaining to your state Attorney General's office than to the Better Business Bureau, altho the BBB wouldn't hurt of course.

I became very disappointed in our BBB when I contacted them years ago after I'd started up a business. I wanted to find out what it took to become a "member in good standing". They told me the annual fee. I said ok, but what's it take to become a member in good standing? They said the annual fee. That's it. I decided not to join at that point. When they get complaints on a company, they forward the complaint to that company and ask them to respond to the complainant and them. Until they receive 3 complaints in a close time frame on a company, it remains a 'member in good standing' with them. At least that's the way it worked when I last checked.

The Attorney General's office however, tends to really rattle the cage of most businesses when they get complaints. Some companies even avoid setting up business or doing business in certain states with diligent AG's. I know with the company I worked for for so many years, the AG complaints took top priority.

The consumer is best protected by purchasing with their credit card, since you are their top priority. If they start getting high levels of complaints about a particular company, they will shut them off from the privilege of offering that CC (Visa or MC) as a method of payment. They hold a lot of leverage over businesses.. and AG's can literally shut the company down for unethical and underhanded practices.

12. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

I am dealing with a company on the web. totalvac.com.
    i ordered from them on the 3rd of November. i still do not have anything I ordered.. Their web site does not have a phone number. I was able to find the number and called them, to find out they had shipped the stuff and I had refused the shippment. i would love to know when I did that. I was home every day waiting for the pkg. And I did no such thing.
    I gave them my credit card number and they charged it on my debit card instead. Any way to make along story short my credit card company is going to go after them and replace the money in my account.

13. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

:cowboy:
    Thanks all for the great info. given so far.

Just to clarify why I ordered the mattress cushion in the first place...not because of an allergy to homesteading! HaHa! I was thinking frugally, actually a CHEAP way to comfort. My mattress is really old, and the padding over the springs is nearly non-existent. Everyday I wake up stiff and sore, most likely due to the mattress. I don't really want to buy a new mattress set at this time, and I prefer not to get a used one either because of some "things" that lurk in them. We are in the process of downsizing and wanting to sell the house, and then move into our 5th wheel trailer. Believe me that is really downsizing! Our plan is to travel to the southern (warmer) states to look for our next home or property. The trailer has the same size mattress that I intended to "cushion" so it would be useful in there too.

Why post in homesteading? Well, to be a true homesteader most will look out for their friends and neighbors. And I consider you all to be friends. So this may help someone else to be careful ordering on the internet or TV. I have ordered from other well-known companies before without any problems. This transaction really angers me because the item was misrepresented as something else and was very expensive for me.

Since this was a CC purchase, I'll contact the CC company as well as the BBB and the Mi. AG. I've copied the web site with the picture of the item and will get a picture of what I received.

Thanks again - you all are most helpful.

Nappy

14. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

Definitely contact the AG, that office is the best protection consumers have.
    If the package was shipped via the Post Office you can also get them involved. Mail fraud carries really heavy fines.

15. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

If you local TV channel has a consumer correspondent, get in touch with her/him too. They usually get things done PDQ.