Allergic to beef and pork? Has this happened to anyone else?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by allenslabs, Oct 21, 2006.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Is anybody else allergic to beef or pork? Right now the only meats I can eat are chicken and turkey. Beef sends me in hives and only a couple of benadryl will make em go away. Then last night after eating only 4 pieces of bacon I ended up in the ER with swollen face, difficulty breathing, hives all over and wheezing, hands itching and the runs. I have eaten beef and pork but mainly beef my whole life. Then within the last year I've gotten allergic to it and I'm only 25. I'm going to talk to an allergy doctor and see how common this is. I'm half scared to try anything and was wanting to try goat and stuff but dont know that i should. And I hate being labeled as one of those people that is at cookouts making sure what was in the food now I'm righ there. I don't like being different and wish I could go back. So next time you eat a big ole juicy steak or hamburger think of me. But really has ANYBODY had any issues like this?

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

I think you will find it more common than you think. For years my younger sister couldn't eat pork without spending the next 24 hours parked on the toilet. She would have been about your age at the time. She is now 46 and by accident, found that it doesn't worry her anymore. I went through phases where pork and beef would have the same effect but it hasn't happened for a long time. I also went through a period where eggs had to come off the diet as they gave me colic to the point where I would be rolling on the floor with the pain - I can understand how a colicy horse would feel :)

With luck, you may "grow" out of it again and I have no answer as to why foods that people have been able to eat all their lives, should suddenly start giving problems.

You don't mention mutton. Interestingly that is one meat that has never given a problem.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. savinggrace

savinggrace COO of manure management

I have a friend who cannot tolerate pork. I can't help but wonder if it isn't something in the feed. Is the problem with grocery store (likely factory farmed) meats or also 'small producer/grass fed' meats?

4. dennisjp

dennisjp dennisjp

There are a few foods that I love but they don't love me.
    I love pork barbeque but I would say about 25% of the time that I eat it, it tears my stomach all to the dickens.
    But heart burn is my worst enemy.
    A freand went through a faze for about a year where she couldn't eat chicken and then it just went away. She would break out like you, but she kept on eating just a little every now and then and the simptoms got less and less, and adding a little more each time and then they just stopped.
    Best wishes to you.
    Dennis

5. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

I too suspect it is in the feed which went into the beef or pork rather than in the meat itself. Try obtaining some totally grass-fed beef and see if that makes a difference. There is also pastured-raised pork, but that will be very difficult to find. You might find a farmer who raises pork strictly on corn (nothing else) they grow themselves without extensive herbicides.

If you have a health food store in your area you might try organic beef and pork.

6. MayLOC

MayLOC Well-Known Member

I already posted a reply to this question on the Goat board, however just wanted to say please read the link I provided on the causes of food allergies. It is fairly common to become allergic to foods that you Often eat, for various reasons, but temporary and strict avoidance of these allergic foods often provides good response once they are re-introduced. It is important to completely avoid them for a period of time however because even minute exposure to the allergens provides an immune response. good luck.