Allergic reaction??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Sweetgal, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Sweetgal

Sweetgal Well-Known Member

Montana but traveling full time in travel trailer
    I didn't know where else to post this so thought I'd just put it on this forum.
    Does anyone know of allergic reactions to being poked by a mesquite thorn?
    I have been helping my parents clear their property a bit and was clearing under a mesquite tree/bush when a thorn went through the gloves I was using and into the joint on my thumb. It bled a little but then stopped so I figured it was ok. Later I noticed that it was hard to bend my thumb and it was swollen. I checked to be sure there wasn't anything still in the skin and there was no sign of anything, in fact the place the thorn had stuck wasn't even visible. There is now a big bruise and lots of swelling on that thumb and I can't bend it without pain. I tried ice on it but that only made it throb. I have also taken a benedryl in case it's an allergic reaction. I have not had this reaction before and I have been working on these trees for several days now so I'm perplexed. Any ideas?

Sweets

2. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

It could very well be an allergic reaction. I found this on another site~

http://www.aoi.com.au/acotanc/Papers/Pasiecznik-1/Author-n-Text.htm

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Doctor, as soon as possible. You can get blood poisoning from those thorns. People have died. Sorry to be so blunt, please don't fool around with this.

4. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Call a doctors office and ask them if you need to be seen. By now you know if the benedryl helps, so you know if it is an allergy.

5. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

please do go on to a doctor with this one and don't try to "doctor" yourself. this is serious stuff! best wishes (and let us know how you are!)

6. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

EXACTLY! Esp if the injury was a few days ago not just this morning. This sounds like infection and you could lose the thumb or use of teh joint if you don't get an infection properly and promptly treated. My dad delayed care for a minor dog bite that went into the joint on his hand and instead of just antibiotics had to have surgery as well.

BTW even if it was just a few hours ago this could be from bleeding into the joint and that could lead to infection or the pressure could destroy the joint if not relieved quickly.

Get to the ER asap!

7. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

Sweetgal, bet you made it to the er by now. I stuck one in my knee once at about 2:30 and was in er by 8:00 with BP. Those are nothing to mess with. Just stuck in the flesh doesn't seem to do as much damage, guess the joint fluid reacts to the poison on the thorns.
    Ed

8. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I stuck a palm thorn inbetween my knuckles once. A few hours later, my hand was swollen to the elbow. Went to the ER and they fished out the tip of the thorn. The doc told me that anything in a joint can lead to infection very quickly, whether there's an allergy issue or not. I also know from my hand injury that joint infections can become life threatening and require hospitalization to treat.

I sure hope you had it looked at by now.

Jena

9. Sweetgal

Thank you all for your replies. I was not online yesterday as I didn't feel well at all. I did get an appointment for a doctor but it isn't until tomorrow. I called and the doctor seemed to think it would be ok since I can still move the thumb and it responded to soaking in hot water. Was told it could just be a bad reaction to the thorn sticking into the joint but will know more tomorrow after the doctor gets a look at it. Will let you all know what I find out.
    By the way, did I happen to mention that I hate bushes with thorns? LOL.
    Would appreciate any prayers about this too.
    Tks,
    Sweets

10. Sweetgal

Hey y'all just wanted to update you on the thorny predicament I was in.
    I did see the doctor and she said it didn't look infected but gave me a prescription for antibiotics in case it didn't get better or started to look bad. She said it looked like just a reaction of my joint to the trama of the thorn sticking in it. She advised to soak it in hot water until the water turned cold a few times a day.
    I am glad to report that the swelling has gone down a lot and it seems to be getting better. I'll keep an eye on it just in case but I think the worst is over.
    Thanks for all your concern and helpful suggestions.
    By Grace Alone,
    Sweets

11. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

So glad you're better! Had me worried about you.

12. Sweetgal

Thanks for caring.
    Sweets