All Steel Buildings--Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Old Jack, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

Has anyone built one , helped build one?
    Pros, cons.
    I've been looking at Miracle truss--http://miracletruss.reachlocal.net/welcome.html
    And I have to admit their system looks pretty good

2. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

as long as the frame is strong nothing wrong with them im getting ready to build one now just bought a truck load of used steel

3. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

How about the insulation value, I would think a building with vynil siding is more insulated than steel siding?

4. ninny

ninny Well-Known Member

Take a look on steelbuildingfactory.com. They have some pretty good looking buildings. I like the rigid construction and ease of putting them together.

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

You asked about the metal building and I went to the site in your original post. I had one similar installed for a former employer and I did not like the design of the main frame steel. I have also seen that design in chicken houses and I have seen those houses fail during a major ice storm. I currently have 2 large metal buildings on my farm, one 5000 sq ft and the other 4000 sq ft. These buildings are similar to the design shown here http://www.olympiabuildings.com/applications/ag_equipment.html The snow load for these buildings was upgraded for a load in a zone that has much more snow than we encounter. To determine the value for the buck spent ask the provider to give you the shipping weight. This is the best indicator for what you will be getting as the more steel in the building the better the building. I bought a 19700 lb building for the same price quoted for a 14,970 building. Get the provider in a bidding contest for your business and you will get the most for your money. The building are rather easy to erect provided you get the footers and the anchors correct. If you are unsure of getting the footers level and the anchors correctly located hire the work done. The building will go together properly only when these items are proper. I have had a wood frame building and I much prefer the metal buildings. There just seems so much more substance to the metal ones. No movement and the fasteners stay put. No insects problems either.
    PS....you will be required to unload the building when it arrives!

6. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

My first question would be:
    What is the purpose of the building?

I ask that because it makes a difference is this something you will seek to heat and live in? If so the money savings you may experience initially will be lost when it comes time to insulate and prepare the rest of the building.

Is there a long span that needs covered? That may tilt it back in the other direction?

A commercial building is almost always a sure bet for a good use of steel. Home uses probably take a little more thinking out.

You will need a crane for anything of size when erecting your steel building. Steel will be less forgiving (holes not lining up etc.) for the home builder that is erecting one of those "packages" they sell.

We are looking at steel for a new church building and the advantages we see aren't so much in the cost as the larger spans we are able to cover, which allow for a more open setting inside.

7. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

Workshop, 30x40 or so

I plan on pouring a slab and going with radiant heat.
    Gas bills aren't an issue. As far as insulation I'm still undecided, I originally wanted to do Strawbale, I may do blown in cellulose.
    I guess that's what I'm trying to figure out, if anyone has real life experience with the "kit" buildings. They all "sound ' great on the company sites

8. Mark Williams

Mark Williams New Guy

My wife and I have been considering using a quonset building for extremely rural (remote) residential use. They have models now with straight sidewalls, that look fairly "Home" shaped.

We thought about using lightweight concrete on the outside of the structure , and line the inside with a cheap source of locally available timber. I would think that extra sidewall pieces could be ordered with the building to use as an overhang on the roof, hopefully this would help disguise the fact that it's a quonset building.

Just a thought.

There is a fellow that sells these buildings on e-bay. Supposedly has a set rate on shipping. I believe the ones he sells are imports. I have no affiliation with him.

Mark