Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I got what I wanted, with five peach trees producing like gangbusters. :help:

I have made so many jars of peach jam I'm embarassed to even tell you. Canned peach salsa, peach barbecue sauce, and peach chutney. Made batches of peach ice cream and peach sorbet this weekend. Have five gallons of peach wine I just put into second stage fermentation. DH and I are eating all the fresh peaches we can stand. This weekend, I think I might try making fruit leather for the first time.

Any other ideas? HELP ME. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
Peach butter (like apple butter), peach desserts for the freezer, regular canned peaches for turning into whatever you want later.

Maybe you can headf to the farmer's market and trade them with another grower for something you want? Veggies, honey, or something?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
....canned peaches...light syrup.....we just finished canning 86 quarts.......might have to try some peach wine with the rest....do you use dextrose to adjust sugar content prior to fermentation and what type of yeast did you use? I like champagne yeast for apple and strawberry wine but never thought of making peach wine.

·
Premium Member
4,440 Posts
Keep on canning....you could be like us with our killer late frost this year....lost all our peaches,pears,apples,plums so know from now on I'll canned like crazy in the good years! DEE

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BobK said:
....canned peaches...light syrup.....we just finished canning 86 quarts.......might have to try some peach wine with the rest....do you use dextrose to adjust sugar content prior to fermentation and what type of yeast did you use? I like champagne yeast for apple and strawberry wine but never thought of making peach wine.
OK, I feel a little better - I don't have 86 quarts, but I did indeed already do the halves-in-light-syrup thing, just forgot to mention it. :p

I just used ten pounds of sugar and the yeast the E.C. Kraus catalog recommends for peach wine - EC-110 or something like that. It seemed to work for the cherry wine I made earlier in the year, though that isn't fully mature yet.

Hey, cowgirlone, I'll pay you in peaches for that quilt you're making for me! :cool:

6,651 Posts
trixiwick said:
I guess I got what I wanted, with five peach trees producing like gangbusters. :help:

I have made so many jars of peach jam I'm embarassed to even tell you. Canned peach salsa, peach barbecue sauce, and peach chutney. Made batches of peach ice cream and peach sorbet this weekend. Have five gallons of peach wine I just put into second stage fermentation. DH and I are eating all the fresh peaches we can stand. This weekend, I think I might try making fruit leather for the first time.

Ive got to tell you ma'am, Ive never heard of half the uses you mentioned.

My hat is off to you. If I had a "hat off" smiley Id use it.

How did your jam turn out? LOL :bdh:

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Mutti said:
Keep on canning....you could be like us with our killer late frost this year....lost all our peaches,pears,apples,plums so know from now on I'll canned like crazy in the good years! DEE
i agree with this. here, we only get a crop about 3 years out of 5, (lots of variable weather in the spring) so have learned to can the bounty years.

we always loved freezer peaches. the recipe is in the blue book. you mix fruit fresh and sugar, slice the peaches into it, let it make juice, then put into freezer bags. there is nothing better than these peaches over hot biscuits.

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
trixiwick said:

Here's a little part of a diddy by Elton John you can hum.

(That's Sir Elton John to you, missy!)

Rotten peaches rotting in the sun
Seems I've seen that devil fruit since the world begun
Mercy I'm a criminal, Jesus I'm the one
Rotten peaches rotting in the sun

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
I WISH I had the problem you have. We haven't planted our peach trees..yet.
Have you sliced and dried any? I really like dried peaches and nectarines.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
make peach juice that you can mix with other juices later - like grape or apple. Yum.

Usually, I just can or freeze most of my produce plain, then I can do what I feel like with them later.

Congrats on trees that produce!

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey, Max, I will have you know that my peach jam set just fine (all 7 jillion pints of it), and I actually think my un-set raspberry "sauce" will be excellent over peaches. - so there!

Oggie, if you don't want my peaches, please don't shake my tree! :nono:

For those of you who don't yet have peach trees, I think one tree per person in the household is probably plenty. Live and learn.

I'm going to use some of these ideas - definitely drying and juice, to start with. I'll make some more sorbet too, I think - just peaches and sugar and DANG, it's tasty! :cool: I'm hesitant to do anything for the freezer because I'm trying to conserve freezer space. I have ten baby turkeys that will be freezer-ready before I know it!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.