All negatives!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Well, I just called the pan american vet labs in texas to get the lab results on all 7 vials of blood that i sent in... Tested for CL, CAE, and Johne's... All 7 came back fully negative for all three!
    I'm so happy.
    :)

2. delphinium

delphinium Well-Known Member

congratulations!! what a relief that must be for you.
    :)

3. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Outstanding news....Congrats!!!

4. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

well that is wonderful! I hope it stays that way for you.

5. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

That is wonderful. Is there a reason you thought you neded to run these tests? Did someone have signs of one?

6. Caprice Acres

No, no signs of them just wanted to be sure. I like being able to say that I'm a tested free herd now though.

7. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

I recieved my tests from Pan American about 3 weeks ago and had one out of 4 does that tested border line for CAE. Her dam and grand dam test neg. I had wormed her that morning and wondering if that could have caused these BL results? I am also milking this doe. What are your thoughts? I have to retest her 45 days from the time her first test was run. Just a little puzzled. :shrug: I have read of false negatives and positives.

8. computerchick

computerchick Keeper of the Zoo

Unless you've completely closed your herd and don't show, you need to maintain every 6 month testing. Johnes especially can show false negatives (and false positives with Elisa testing). You can never claim a 'free' herd unless you've completed the certification program for your state (truth in advertising stuff) and that has to be done with a certified lab (Washington State, UC Davis, for cl - Johnes there's a list of certified labs off of johnesinfo)

To be safe, I would recommend saying negative as of 10.whatever.2006 test date.

I've seen too many herds lately exposed and infected due to someone buying an animal from a 'tested' herd - unfortunately the test on those herd were done over a year ago. :(

For buyers - go ahead and ask for a test!! or two, or three!!! I'm sooo picky now that I've seen others go through the worst!!!

ps congrats on your first round of negatives!

and as to the cae - i'd retest with a more definitive titer (elisa vs agid, etc research the differences!!)
    Andrea

9. Caprice Acres

Didn't know you had to be certified to be 'free' of a disease! I knew about false negatives but didn't think anything about being certified. I will change do a 'negative as of xx-xx-xx" type thing.

Oh, I do plan on testing 6 months from now as well, and then on a yearly basis, and buying from only tested herds as well... I don't plan on bringing IN any more miniature goats, I'm just going dairy goats from tested farms from now on.

Well, I don't show and I don't plan on adding new goats in the very close future, though I do plan to take my Alpine doe out to be bred, that probably counts. (within the year I do plan to add more dairy does, however)

10. computerchick

Dona, if you are bringing in more stock, I would look at testing every 3-4 months. Especially with Johnes. Start testing at about 10 months and every 3-4 months until they are 18 months old, then yearly suffices!

Make sure you are using ELISA testing for Johnes, AGID doens't pick up titers until they are high enough to be symptomatic (shedding the bacterium)

Also be careful if you are selling goats - there are a couple states require tests and you need to have it done through a USDA cert lab! I know VA is requiring CL negs now - or proof of no absesses (fun). We use Wash State now because PavLab is private and has no certifications - we had to have a tb test done on a kid before sending it out and found out the $$ way.

Good luck ;-)

Andrea

11. Caprice Acres

Yes the tests were doe ELISA method...

Maybe I will have to look into doing Wash. State from now on too. So are you certified when all your animals turn out negative, and they just send along like a certification certificate or something? Or is it just that the facility is certified? I don't think I can afford every 3-4 months though... And not looking to buy any more goats (right now), though I do plan to use stud service on my alpine doe. I will test them all again in 6 months, and will only use a buck from a CL free herd.

12. computerchick

The certification programs depend state to state. I know there is a johnes certification program in the works on the federal level...check with your state vet to see if there's one in your state yet...

I really don't see the need for certification, I certainly don't want the state vet telling me what to do with my goats!!!!! There is talk of a Johnes eradication program as well...not sure if this is a good thing or a bad!

here is waddl's info on cae-
    http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts_waddl/caefaq.asp

and I don't think there is a certification program for cl

as far as tb/bruc goes - some states are requiring tests within 30 days of export/import even from free states unless you are a certified herd - this is what we ran into with taking a goat to tn - and the state vets don't honor non certified labs.

I will look up the johnes info site - I think you could probably just google it for more info!

Andrea

13. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

Congrats on a clean herd.. That is great news to hear..

Good Luck on your goats. :)